Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dreadnought

Sending a check to China?

Closed Thread

Sending a check to China?

HSBC told me that I can't send a check to China. I owe my friend a small amount (~500 RMB) and the only option they would offer me is to buy a type a money order or bank transfer for $100. Huge ripoff!

So are there any other reasonable ways to send money to China? Anybody know if Paypal works in the mainland (loathe as I am to do business with them)? If not, I'll have to pay her in cash next time I'm in Shanghai...

Alipay.com you need a China bank account.. There may be some other methods to charge your Alipay account.

Quote Originally Posted by matchstick man:
    HSBC told me that I can't send a check to China. I owe my friend a small amount (~500 RMB) and the only option they would offer me is to buy a type a money order or bank transfer for $100. Huge ripoff!

So are there any other reasonable ways to send money to China? Anybody know if Paypal works in the mainland (loathe as I am to do business with them)? If not, I'll have to pay her in cash next time I'm in Shanghai...

RMB notes + an envelope + a stamp.

EDIT: I will admit that when I used this (for RMB200) the money "did not arrive" but I didn't know the person I was sending it to. If it's a friend that's different.

[PDLM]You can start by spelling 'cheque' correctly.[/PDLM]

Matt_NT likes this.

This is an expat forum. Perhaps you could find a venue that's a little more British if you want to cry about what the Americans did to your poor innocent language?

RULE BRITANNIA BRITANNIA RULE THE FORUMS la la la we've got no aircraft carriers.

various alternative menthods, all have advantages or disadvantages

paypal, taobao vouchers, us dollar cheque ( assuming that their account in china is multia currency)

Money changers will "send" money to a China bank account for $50 fee.