Like Tree2Likes

german private insurance for HK resident

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

german private insurance for HK resident

I currently have a german, private insurance (travel insurance for up to 3 years of travel) that I use in HK. Its around 30 EUR per month and covers nearly everything (dental, for instance! - it does not cover glasses etc though).
    this insurance will end by the end of the year and I am looking into other options - any germans around that can share their tips on private insurance they use for HK?
    I dont want to use the local insurance offered by work.
    thanks

I don't think you can be insured against Germans, that's racist.

alice.h likes this.

Why not renew this one? Whatever you do, stay away from AXA PPP expat insurance.

If you live in HK your German travel insurance is not valid anymore and should not be renewable.
    In HK you better sign a travel and a private accident insurance. Everything else is covered by public clinics, dental, glasses you pay yourself. It is a better deal than paying euro 2000 + for a private insurance every year.

I think BUPA has been favorably mentioned before here somewhere.

You could use the M tariffs of DKV (which work worldwide with no limitations, such as residence or time limits), but depending on your age/job/health/gender it will probably cost you 10x per month of what you are used to pay for your travel insurance now. You can sign up with DKV in Germany, or through a local agent (Kwiksure if am not wrong) for an expat package.

I am not German but I am injured at DKV in Germany.

Or just pay cash for your glasses and forget about insurance. You will always pay more, especially in HK you have almost "free" healthcare with your HKID card.

Last edited by 100LL; 26-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Given the price you're mentioning I assume you are on the ALV plan of DKV (I used the same plan when I was enrolled in university here). I think that if you maintain a secondary residence in Germany you can extend it up to 6 years (I was told that would be possible in 07).
    Re AXA PPP - yes, their customer service is abysmal (though always friendly), and I found their coverage and price to be hard to beat. No problem getting the claims paid, either.
    If you stay in HK mostly I would also consider just using the public health service. The one time I needed medical services I used a public hospital, service was good and the bill so low I did not even bother to submit it.

Quote Originally Posted by revesi:
    Why not renew this one? Whatever you do, stay away from AXA PPP expat insurance.
    Why, whats wrong with them?
    Been using them for 15+ years for the whole family with no complaints...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Why, whats wrong with them?
    Been using them for 15+ years for the whole family with no complaints...
    - Submitted claims appear online as claims only after they are processed (~4 weeks), even though CS insists they should appear at least 24h after submission
    -They always tell you incredibly nicely that they'll call you back. So far, they never did.
    - Currently, my claims overview has written "paid" next to each position. However, they don't even have my account number, so I am a bit curious how they think they paid me.
    - One position is shown in SGD, despite all bills were in HKD....

No big deal, really, but it doesn't give me much confidence in the company either....
    revesi likes this.

AXA PPP Health Insurance Reviews at Review Centre

Read this for AXA PPP reviews. I can personally vouch that I faced almost ALL of the complaints brought forward here .

My experience with AXA was a nightmare and wouldn't wish it for anyone. I wish I had researched online beforehand . I just didn't expect that a company as unprofessional like AXA PPP would be allowed to exist in the UK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast