HSBC - I hate them

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Worked it out - go vote!

Citibank and Standard Chartered are much better than HSBC for their internet banking.

No token required.

If you want to add a bill payee, or 3rd party transfer, you can add them online. They send a SMS to your phone with a code to confirm the payee addition. There is a limit though on daily transfers ($50,000 for citibank, $20,000 for SCB).

And Citibank has electronic bank statements available.

No token required is a BAD thing if you ever want to do internet banking from a shared computer.

The SMS thing is fine except when you're roaming and you either can't receive the SMS or have to pay to do so.

HSBC allows you to set up bill payments online, and their daily limit on transfers to unregistered accounts is HK$50,000.

HSBC also has electronic statements available.

Except that HSBC's transfer limits vanish after 6 months and you have to go and sign the paper again ... now THAT's really hard if you are overseas!

I have now found the limits which MovingIn07 got caught by. Details here. (You might need to be logged on to Online Banking to see that link.)

Basically, the limits are reset 6 months after you set them up if you never make any transaction under them, or 13 months after the last transaction if you have ever made one.

HSBC credit card..... ARgghh

the follow up to my HSBC nightmares..... Got new credit cards as the last ones had expired. activated them using the number on the sticker and was good to go.... except I can't use them to buy something online despite being able to do this with the old one..... don't know what i have to do to allow this and am certainly not going into a bank to ask them. They drive me mad. Thank god we still have our amex !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I have now found the limits which MovingIn07 got caught by. Details here. (You might need to be logged on to Online Banking to see that link.)

Basically, the limits are reset 6 months after you set them up if you never make any transaction under them, or 13 months after the last transaction if you have ever made one.
    THat makes sense. When I set them up, it was going to take a few days and so I did the urgent ones manually or set up a special transfer limit (buying the boat was > 50k LOL) and then when I tried to pay my non-HSBC credit card this way I couldn't so I didn't do anything for a few months ..... Since I have now done the stuff manually that I was trying to do when I realised my limit had expired the same could well happen again! Might have to make a transfer of 1HKD to my husband just to keep it active....

In what way does it fail when you try to use it online?

I'm betting its MasterCard 3D / Visa Secure nonsense.

That's what I'm thinking - but that doesn't cause it to fail - you just need to go through an extra step.

Alternatively, janetw is trying to use the credit card definition that she previously set up for the service without remembering that she needs to change the expiry date.