View Poll Results: Which bank gives you the least rage?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • HSBC

37 27.41%
  • Standard Charter

30 22.22%
  • Citi

23 17.04%
  • Hang Seng

8 5.93%
  • Bank of China

13 9.63%
  • BEA

5 3.70%
  • DBS

4 2.96%
  • Other

15 11.11%
Like Tree97Likes

Which bank gives you the least rage?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Which bank gives you the least rage?

I'm a fairly laid back guy, and rarely do I get so filled with rage then when I do 2 things:
    1. Talk to PCCW
    2. Talk to a bank in HK

So...today boys and girls, we will discuss banking in HK.

Which bank do you use that gives you the least amount of rage? and why? I may be in the mood to try someone new.

I was just told by Citibank today that they will not increase my credit limit for a temporary purchase, and if I want to permanently increase the limit then they will charge me 1.5% of the new limit in a "service fee" no less than HKD 100. Even though I have been with the same bank for over 6 years, with perfect credit history and monthly bill payments all on time, with bills often reaching my limit and being payed immediately, and having more then many many times the limit in my savings account with them. They still refuse to increase my limit to make my transactions easier so I do not need to pay my credit card bill 3 times a month.

so...which bank is your least soul crushing mind splitting rage induced choice?

I have been banking with SCB for various sorts of things (mortgage, accounts...) for the past 7 years and no major issue. (credit limit of 160K a month with SCB which is more than enough)

I had less good experience with HSBC and stayed clear of them.

Last edited by Mat; 15-05-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Send some money from your saving account to your CC account and you limit will be increase automatically . (Well at least with HSBC)

I'm with Citi, Hsbc premier and standard chartered and all 3 are equivalent bad for customer service.

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

I've always found HSBC to be reasonable- they have suggested workarounds to a couple of roadblocks I've encountered, but I've never tried increasing my credit limits.

The most rage-inducing bank has been Citi, but their UK arm. I've avoided the HK organisation because of it.

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

see i love the Citi in USA. But can not stand operating with them here.

@Brit, I think I may go for the AMEX Cathay Elite Platinum card, thanks for the tip. Question though...how long do you have before miles expire? And what do you use them on if you don't travel ?Do they convert well to cash or anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I've always found HSBC to be reasonable- they have suggested workarounds to a couple of roadblocks I've encountered, but I've never tried increasing my credit limits.
    True , the tips to transfer some money to my CC account to increase my credit limit was given by a HSBC staff who just refused to increase my limit.
    Funny enough a month later i received a letter telling me that my credit limit was increase as i often max. out.
    justbea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    see i love the Citi in USA. But can not stand operating with them here.

@Brit, I think I may go for the AMEX Cathay Elite Platinum card, thanks for the tip. Question though...how long do you have before miles expire? And what do you use them on if you don't travel ?Do they convert well to cash or anything else?
    They go straight to your Asia Miles account at the end of every month. Asia Miles are valid for three years. You can pay to extend them.

If you go on the Asia Miles website you will see that you can use your Asia Miles for a range of other products (although personally I don't think any of them are good value).

HSBC Premier. Staff who speak decent English and a relationship manager who can grease the wheels.

kpelszyn and aw451 like this.

HSBC straight up lied to my wife. Per a suggestion from a friend, my wife called HSBC to buy helper's insurance. The HSBC rep on the phone said we had to buy home owner's or rental insurance in order to buy helper's insurance. At this my wife said, "Thanks but no thanks," and happened to mention this to the friend who originally suggested HSBC. Friend said, "No, that's not right. We didn't buy home owner's nor renter's insurance and we had no issues buying the helper's insurance." My wife called back to HSBC and read them the riot act. The guy on the other line gave the same bull$h!t excuse you hear in Hong Kong all time, "Sorry, sorry. Misunderstanding. Sorry, sorry."

Something about the local business culture makes it totally Okay to try to F*ck customers if followed by a pathetically insincere, "Sorry, sorry," if the customer calls the business on the attempted scam.

Was your wife conversing in Cantonese or English?
    Hanlon's razor may apply.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast