Citibank online transfers

Closed Thread

Citibank online transfers

Anyone know why the F#$% Citibank added a security procedure to stop you from transferring money within your own accounts online?

If I am out of HK, and need to rely on online banking to transfer some money from savings to checking, or to my linked VISA card... I can not do it because it requires an authorization code sent to my SMS of phone.

Anyone tell you how much I HATE banking in HK?

So...has anyone able to find a way to circumvent this stupid procedure? To disable it? Something that will help me transfer money that does NOT require calling long distance IDD and waiting on hold for several hours to talk to a manual reading drone?

Hi,

If I am not wrong, you can setup your email to receive the authorization code instead of SMS. Just walk through the menu and you will find out.

Sent from my LT18i using GeoClicks Mobile

That's no correct Bruno. I actually called Citibank HK about this issue and the person on the phone said I can change my SMS to my US cell phone or to an HK cell phone at any time; however, the Online Authorization Code (OAC) is not optional and cannot replace with email. The only way to make transfer is first get a SMS with the OAC.

So I even asked the rep how I can change the mobile number online and she said it's only available by customer service over the phone. So she suggested I call the Citibank HK to update my mobile to a US mobile prior to leaving HK, then I can make transfers while in US. Then when I return to HK, I also call Citibank HK to change my mobile back to HK Mobile. Crazy! Am thinking of switching out of Citibank. This online system is so inconvenient now!

yep...im done with Citi. They didn't bother me too badly when I first arrived, but as years go by my plans for "what to do if I ever meet the CEO" are getting increasingly violent.

Quote Originally Posted by cw1483:
    That's no correct Bruno. I actually called Citibank HK about this issue and the person on the phone said I can change my SMS to my US cell phone or to an HK cell phone at any time; however, the Online Authorization Code (OAC) is not optional and cannot replace with email. The only way to make transfer is first get a SMS with the OAC.

So I even asked the rep how I can change the mobile number online and she said it's only available by customer service over the phone. So she suggested I call the Citibank HK to update my mobile to a US mobile prior to leaving HK, then I can make transfers while in US. Then when I return to HK, I also call Citibank HK to change my mobile back to HK Mobile. Crazy! Am thinking of switching out of Citibank. This online system is so inconvenient now!

Sorry, I have another Citi account in my home country which sends the OAC via email and/or SMS, that's why the confusion...
    I agree Citi HK is terrible, the online services is very poor comparing to other banks.

Citibank in Hong Kong also requires an OAC in order to set up a Citibank Global Transfer (between branches in different countries), but that OAC can only be obtained over the telephone... Which wouldn't be such a problem if their telephone system hadn't been non-functional for over a month. After several length telephone calls, repeating the same information each time, trying to explain that "due to a system error" (their recorded words) I could not obtain an OAC, the only solution I was offered was to do a wire transfer for me--with the fee waived. Of course, the incoming wire transfer fee was not waived...

Last edited by Lootoo; 15-06-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: emphasis, man, emphasis...