Getting better exchange rate (GBP to HKD)

Closed Thread

Getting better exchange rate (GBP to HKD)

Hello

Could someone tell me if I'd be better off exchanging GBP to HKD in the UK or when I reach HK?

I've checked some HK banking sites and the rates seem to be better but don't seem to give much more information regarding fees or whether I need to have an account with them etc.

I'm making a move from the UK to HK...soon. (I have a non permanent HKID + UK passport).

BTW, the highest rate I've found if exchanged in the UK is GBP 1 = HKD 11.92

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by kt24; 31-07-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Generally speaking you get better rates for exchange to/from HKD in HK. HSBC online banking would give me 12.133 at the moment (and that's outside office hours - slightly better inside), with no additional charges.

Okay. That is the general feeling I get from what I have found online.

Good thing I don't/won't need money in HK initially anyway as I have some spare money from my last trip there..

Thanks.

Try Citibank. Checked HSBC, Citibank, and BoC 2 days ago converting Yen to HKD. HSBC came the lowest of all 3 banks, Citibank gave the best rate.

Don't go inside HSBC. It's evil in many respect now that I had a look at other banks.