INSURANCE FOR SWIMMING - Public Liability or Professional Indemnity?

Closed Thread

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am a qualified swimming teacher and am looking to teach mothers and babies in a friends swimming pool at her house.

I need to get some kind of insurance so if for example someone fell on the stairs to her pool they would not try to claim from the lady who's house it is.

Can anyone help me with which kind of insurance I need for this and any companies that might cover me, I have tried about 6 but no-one wants to do it.

To add I am highly qualified and taught babies to swim in the UK so I am not thinking of any accidents actually swimming, more around the poolside.

Please help as I am hitting a brick wall and would really like to be able to pursue this career here in HK.

Many Thanks

Hmmm...
    Does your friend own the house?
    Is there a formal arrangement between you and your friends in regards to your use of the swimming pool for business purposes?
    As a home owner, your friend can get a Building Owners Liability Insurance, that should cover third party liability including accidents occurring in the common areas of the building. Mostly this kind of cover is sold as a optional to the Home Insurance.

Alternatively have you thought of teaching at a public pool?
    Or ask your clients to sign a non-indemnity statement.

Last edited by PSMaverick; 11-09-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Yes its an agreement between me and the friend. I say friend, its actually a friend of a friend, so I prefer not to ask her to have to change her house insurance. She said I could use her pool for a fee. I will look into the no-indemnity statement then.

I live in DB, so the pools here wont allow me to teach as they have their own swimming lessons there. I want to particularly teach here in DB as there are alot of mums and babies and this is primarily the teaching I cover.

Thanks for the info

As an insurance broker, the difference between the two policies is, the Public Liability covers you for third party accidental bodily injury or damage to property caused by your negligence. The Professional Indemnity covers you as a professional coach for any bodily injury etc caused from your teaching.

Regarding your query about someone slipping or falling on the stairs, this has nothing to do with your coaching and should be covered under a Public Liability policy. If the injured person was a friend of the house owner and was there as a guest that would be covered under the Liability section of their House insurance. However there are always exclusions. Running around a pool area where they may slip, or just because you fall whilst going up or down the steps is their own fault and should not be covered.

As you are holding classes, you should ensure the work place is in a safe condition before you use it. You should have your own Liability policy to cover any accidental bodily injury. You leave a bag somewhere that could be tripped over and a toddler gets hurt, that is your negligence for not putting your bag away in a safe place.

I would suggest most insurers are not interested in this type of business anyway, but as it is being held at a "friends" house does not help either. If you were holding classes at a recognised club, they should have all the necessities in case of any accidents. Lifeguards that know CPR, medical kits for injuries, easier access for ambulances etc.

I need to get some kind of insurance so if for example someone fell on the stairs to her pool they would not try to claim from the lady who's house it is.

Public/General Liability is what you need - Prof Indemnity covers things like malpractice by Doctors or Lawyers

Getting insured in HK is nigh on impossible. We cannot get PI insurance for our cpmpany here (was easy in UK, Aus etc). I would go for a waiver of liability too.

Or you could try organising via meetup.com. They have a general waiver as part of their Terms and Conditions and you can put yours as a requirement to signing up. Might help.

I got mine through Kwiksure, they tailor made it and it's still cheap IMO.