Bank Account in Thailand

Closed Thread

Bank Account in Thailand

Has anybody here been successful in opening a bank account in Thailand?

If so which bank did you use, how easy was the process and what documents do they require?

Also is there a minimum balance requirement.

Thanks

I opened one with Kasikorn Bank about 3 years ago. After shopping around for a while they were the only ones who would do it for a non resident. Internet banking is smooth as long as you have a Thai SIM to receive pin codes per SMS. Transfers from my HSBC account in HK arrive usually on the same day afternoon if effected in the morning.

I needed my passport and a Thai address but a Hotel address was ok. Not sure about the regulations now, but I will be in Bangkok in about a week and could ask.

Even though I am a premier customer with HSBC, their branch in Bangkok is more or less useless as they operate under a different set of rules than the local banks. Cant't deposit local currency or receive local transfers, which is no problem with Kasikorn.

Last edited by hktraveller; 17-10-2012 at 03:06 PM.

If you dont mind.

The reason i ask is i have a property completing there in April 2014 (although its about 3 months ahead of schedule) and I would like a Thai bank account to either collect rent or sale price.

Thanks.