Personal retail bank account recommendations? NOT HSBC, lowest fees?

Closed Thread

Personal retail bank account recommendations? NOT HSBC, lowest fees?

Sorry for if I'm posting a redundant thread. I just arrived in HK and I need to open a basic bank account. I am absolutely horrified at all the fees the HK banks charge, as if it's not good enough for them to simply hold your money! I do not want an HSBC account - I had one in the UK and I don't like their online banking system among other reasons.

What bank has the lowest fees and perhaps minimum bank balance? Which has a simple online banking service and functions reasonable efficiently and well? Is there something similar to a credit union here? I will need to maybe have a few monthly standing orders or make regular transfers to other HK banks. Perhaps also an occasional overseas transfer.

Someone recommended Chong Hing Bank. Any commends or other recommendations?

SCB Easy banking is mostly free providing you have at least HK$10 000 in your account. See http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/...sy-banking/en/

Also, having a "payroll" account - having your salary paid into your bank account - often means fees are waived.

Last edited by drumbrake; 07-11-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I do not want an HSBC account - I had one in the UK and I don't like their online banking system among other reasons.
    I have HSBC accounts in 4 different countries and I can tell you that their online banking system is different in all 4 (HK, UK, Canada, Jersey).
    Feel free to choose a different bank but the excuse you are picking is not really valid.

Check out Hang Seng Bank's ATM Savings account.

No minimum balance, no monthly fee and they provide you with an ATM card and e-banking. Note that they charge for counter service.

http://bank.hangseng.com/1/2/persona...urrent#hkd_acc

Last edited by lionrock88; 07-11-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lionrock88:
    Check out Hang Seng Bank's ATM Savings account.

No minimum balance, no monthly fee and they provide you with an ATM card and e-banking. Note that they charge for counter service.

http://bank.hangseng.com/1/2/persona...urrent#hkd_acc
    As far as my research goes that is the only account in HK without fees and minimum balance. But you have to pay 20 HK$ if you need a counter transaction. (Online banking and ATM deposit/withdrawal/transfer is free).

Thank you for these tips and information! I bugged Hang Seng quite a bit today to get a 37-page print out of their banking services fees. I will have a careful look through it tonight.