Like Tree24Likes

Bank account for HK$6000

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Bank account for HK$6000

I hope someone can give me advise.
    My dad was in HK couple of weeks ago and while he was there, he applied and got the new permanent ID card (we used to live in HK but been living in UK for few years now).
    He doesn't have an account in HK and wants to know how could he apply for HK$6000?
    What's the best possible option?

Isn't he too late?
    If not, just open an account! It only takes about 20 minutes. You can close it again after you take the money out!

The best possible option is that he is not permitted to have it because he doesn't live here.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    The best possible option is that he is not permitted to have it because he doesn't live here.
    Utter rubbish.

Any permanent resident of Hong Kong can apply for the $6000 scheme as long they are 18 years old or over.
    Last edited by emx; 19-11-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Utter rubbish.

Any permanent resident of Hong Kong can apply for the $6000 scheme as long they are 18 years old or over.
    BE was expressing a wish not a fact. And I agree with him. It's absolute lunacy to be giving free money to people who don't live here. The original idea of 6k in the MPF accounts of all residents was MUCH more sensible.
    bryant.english likes this.

He is only eligible if he meets the criteria On 31 March 2012: http://www.scheme6000.gov.hk/eng/criteria.html

Since your dad received his ID card just a few weeks ago I guess he is not eligible for the 6000.

Last edited by Drunken Master; 19-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagle:
    He doesn't have an account in HK and wants to know how could he apply for HK$6000?
    What's the best possible option?
    He can submit his application via Hong Kong Post and collect a cheque and have it cashed at any Standard Chartered Bank in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    He is only eligible if he meets the criteria On 31 March 2012: http://www.scheme6000.gov.hk/eng/criteria.html

Since your dad received his ID card just a few weeks ago I guess he is not eligible for the 6000.
    Actually, it was my understanding that you had to have met the criteria by that date. That is to say, if you qualified for permanent residency on or before that date, but had not yet applied for it, then you would still be eligible as long as you had it when you applied.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

From what I understand, at some point in the process he will have to be physically in Hong Kong. Does he travel to Hong Kong frequently, or would he make a trip just for the $6K? If the latter, well...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast