Like Tree2Likes

Travel Insurance

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Travel Insurance

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can get a better deal on travel insurance? We were with HSBC last year, which was $3000 for a year’s worldwide cover; they have just sent a renewal for $4000.

Thanks in advance.

Treeman

Check with your credit card company, they usually have good deals on travel insurance

Depends on the benefits, but HK$1500 or HK$2125 at SCB. You can usually get a discount.

http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/...-insurance/en/

Depends if you need cover for the US or not? I just paid around 890 at Hang Seng for global excluding US.

Quote Originally Posted by nassaugirl:
    Depends if you need cover for the US or not? I just paid around 890 at Hang Seng for global excluding US.
    Hmm, I paid HK$890 with Hang Seng INCLUDING US.

However please do check what you are covered for with the travel insurance. Sure Hang Seng is cheap, but for example we were on holiday recently and the wife needed medical attention. Cost of a doctor where we were was close to HK$800. Hang Seng will only cover you for HK$150 for the medical expense....

Pin, from my memory I thought you have a Standard Chartered Visa Infinite card? If so, you just pay for your flight tickets with the card and you automatically get travel insurance for free.

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Pin, from my memory I thought you have a Standard Chartered Visa Infinite card? If so, you just pay for your flight tickets with the card and you automatically get travel insurance for free.
    Thanks, yes, I do. However, I sometimes don't pay for flights with CC (the TA I use doesn't accept CC. Why do I use this TA? Because he has been very flexible in the past and has been able to get fares which are the cheapest). Also, I think the CC only offers travel accident insurance:

"Complimentary Travel Accident Insurance Worth USD1,000,000

Now with the Priority Banking Credit Card, you can "Sign and Fly" to enjoy our superior complimentary travel accident insurance; the comprehensive coverage is up to US$1,000,000. It also comes with coverage more than travel accidents including luggage loss or delay, flight delay and more."

This isn't a fully comprehensive travel insurance, but will look into the details.

Thanks for pointing out though.

I've researched the Standard Chartered 'sign and fly' travel insurance before and attached is what I could find. Agree it may not be total coverage but its not bad for a freebie. Also I think if you book a hotel with the card then can also get it without booking flights.

Attached Images Attached Images
    pin likes this.

I can tell you the premium you pay will affect the amount of benefits you receive. If the Travel insurance you had from HSBC at HK$3,000 was for yourself and your wife, then cheaper policies are available. If you have children then the premium would be higher, but possibly still available.

Last edited by Editor; 07-03-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Zurich

THis is an established and reliable insurance company and not a 3rd party as the banks are and have comprehensive cover.
    I haven't made a claim yet. Two other bug players are Axa and Allianz.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast