Like Tree1Likes

Medical Insurance - Which one to choose?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Medical Insurance - Which one to choose?

Hi All,

Can forum members guide me towards an affordable medical insurance? My family of three consists of my wife and I (both in our mid-thirties) and our six month old baby. I have been in Hong Kong for the past fifteen months and was on MAX BUPA GOLD. A large part of the insurance burden was covered by my company. I was recently let go and now have to pay for the entire insurance premium myself. Hence I was leaning towards getting a more affordable BUPA health insurance. I wanted to strike the right balance between affordability and coverage as I have a six month baby. Any pointers would be greatly welcome.

Regards

~R

The public system here is basically free for residents.

Hello Robbie,

I understand you were on BUPA Gold for the past 15 months or so, and are now looking for cheaper insurance options. I believe the BUPA policy for your family would have cost about HK$90,000+.

There are a number of local insurance companies, including BUPA, who could provide cheaper insurance, but the benefits would not be as comprehensive as the BUPA Gold policy, and as you are looking for affordable insurance this depends on your budget, and the benefits may need to be reduced.

As another member has already mentioned, there is the public system, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

However, there are international medical policies that provide a very good level of cover, similar to the BUPA Gold policy or better, at annual premiums that could be about half of the BUPA premium. With a 6 month old baby I believe you need a good policy. As an international policy is transportable to other countries you could always take the policy with you and continue to be covered for any medical conditions that may arise whilst living in HK.

Last edited by Editor; 26-03-2013 at 05:24 PM.

I found blue cross to be affordable for a family of 3one toddler : we took middle tier cover : semi private : its hospital only so gp visits self funded : go through the policies carefully for exclusions: make sure dialysis is covered for instance. : I made a claim for some minor surgery and was reimbursed promptly without issue :since you have an infant you may want to compare no claims period for congenital conditions between policies

Medical Insurance

So may I ask roughly how much you paid for the medical insurance for your family? As you know medical insurance doesn't have a saving factor. That means you can always change to another service provider if you can find something better.

Sorry... I mean you can change next year upon renewal.

4500 per year total for the two adult one child . Its may be slightly cheaper for me as I am with a large organisation that likely gets a discounted rate ' no idea how much though

4500 whats?

Hi hongkong 7
    I was trying to check the blue cross plan on their website, but I wasn't sure which one you bought. Btw, did you also sign up for any life or critical illness plans with your medical? Normally, they give you discounts if you sign up both.

Ok I got a plan with hospital and surgical benefit semi private surgeons fee up to 40000:room 990 per day max 45 days physician visit 990 per day private nurse 450 per day misc charges 20000:since I travel a lot this plan has emergency evacuation' cover :the exclusions are cosmetic pregnancy psychiatric drug abuse as you would expect: they cover dialysis which is important : no outpatient cover which I figure I would do in public system anyway . For personal accident I got a blue cross personal accident insurance plan 1 which is
    756 per annum for 500,000 -1000000 death disablement credit card 25000 hospital cash 300per day :funeral etc . Again I travel a lot by taxi in China so its just to cover my family if I croak

Last edited by hongkong7; 16-05-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast