Like Tree34Likes

The ULTIMATE HSBC idiocy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The ULTIMATE HSBC idiocy

I seem to have lost my security device.

But I can log in using the double password, so I click on "Replacement Security Device".

And Lo! IT WANTS ME TO USE MY DEVICE TO PLUG IN AN F"ING NUMBER TO GET A REPLACEMENT.

What kind of moron designed this system ffs?

audiot, Gatts, mid_gen and 2 others like this.

I'm reminded of the Blackadder episode that featured the "Baby eating Bishop of Bath and Wells"

Baldrick reminded Edmund that the Black Bank "had branches everywhere"!

Someone who understands the concept of security far better than you, obviously. Clearly if you could get a new device simply by using the double password then the device offers no higher security and is redundant. The process you attempted is for replacing your device when its internal battery low warning appears but it is still functional. To replace a lost device you're going to need to interact with a person at the bank, hard though that seems to be for you. I have several gripes with HSBC, but their security processes seem pretty solid to me.

TheBrit, Khema, reprazent and 5 others like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

What with this and the whole UnionPay debacle (and the extra day it keeps transfers), one might get the impression that HSBC doesn't want its customers to have easy access to their money.

By "their money" I, of course, refer to HSBC's money.

MovingIn07 and usehername like this.

Must admit that this whole Union Pay shenanigans really p*sses me off. Whenever I travel outside of Asia, I get very nervous that I won't be able to get money out of an ATM in the countries I'm visiting. This never used to be a worry....but then I wasn't with HSBC until I moved to HK (or rather, actually I was but I binned them 15+ years ago once they started centralising everything and the concept of knowing your actual branch manager evaporated).

Last year (I think before this b&llocks was implemented), I couldn't get money out of an HSBC ATM at Canary Wharf. So I went to the HSBC branch under Canada Square. Still no success. So I stropped upstais to Premier and threw a mini wobbly (since I'd been assured by HK that my card would work in the UK and there was no problems accepting a 6 digit PIN). They were pretty good but said it was a HK issue so all they could so was put me on the phone to HK (free of course). So I spoke to the HK muppets and got absolutely nowhere. I was actually quite worried that they were going to do something stupid after my call like freezing my card and I'd get back to HK airport and not be able to get cash out in HK. I relayed this to the London Premier team (who were partly listening) and they were appalled.

So, did more research before my next UK trip (this past Feb). I was told that I won't be able to take cash out if HSBC ATMs but I can access any ATMs that are on the LINK network (and this was stated on the website too). Tried to take money out of a LINK machine. Epic fail. I give up! Thank God I kept my UK bank account and cards so I use those when I'm in the UK.

As for security devices, the HSBC one is okay in a slightly irritating way. I much prefer my (UK) Nationwide one where you have to insert your bank card into the security device to get a code so even if your device was lost/stolen, it's impossible to access your account unless they've also stolen your bank card, your password and your internet banking ID. Pretty damn secure!

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Someone who understands the concept of security far better than you, obviously. Clearly if you could get a new device simply by using the double password then the device offers no higher security and is redundant. The process you attempted is for replacing your device when its internal battery low warning appears but it is still functional. To replace a lost device you're going to need to interact with a person at the bank, hard though that seems to be for you. I have several gripes with HSBC, but their security processes seem pretty solid to me.
    Well, I went to a real physical bank. Where a real physical person told me that they cannot do this and i have to ring up. So they rang up for me, where a real person on the end of the phone didn't ask any security questions but agreed to send me a device. What is the point of that? The woman I was with didn't even verify my identity.

In order to ACTIVATE your device, you need to know your phone banking or ATM banking password, which I assume is where the security aspect comes in.

And besides, I was actually not logged in using 2-password verification, I was using Global view via my Jersey security device (my main account). So I was just as securely logged in as if I had been using a HK device. And personally think that 2-password verification is fine. I WISH those morons would just allow me to sign a forum waiving my rights to excess security crap and allow me to operate my account the way I want to. It's my money ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    What with this and the whole UnionPay debacle (and the extra day it keeps transfers), one might get the impression that HSBC doesn't want its customers to have easy access to their money.

By "their money" I, of course, refer to HSBC's money.
    Pretty sure they don't.

I think I need another HK account for emergencies like this. (I was trying to transfer a small sum of money to register for Moontrekker when I realised my device was missing.)

Are there any HK bank accounts left that have NO security crap? Just a password type system? And ideally ATM cards that work outside of China?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Pretty sure they don't.

I think I need another HK account for emergencies like this. (I was trying to transfer a small sum of money to register for Moontrekker when I realised my device was missing.)

Are there any HK bank accounts left that have NO security crap? Just a password type system? And ideally ATM cards that work outside of China?
    Standard Chartered? I'm with them. One password, but I kind of wish they had something more. The only problem with SCB I've found is they beg you to borrow money, although not as much as Citibank! (which I don't have an account with).

Edit: And SCB doesn't charge for inter-HK bank transfers.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Well, I went to a real physical bank. Where a real physical person told me that they cannot do this and i have to ring up. So they rang up for me, where a real person on the end of the phone didn't ask any security questions but agreed to send me a device. What is the point of that? The woman I was with didn't even verify my identity.
    That seems like a pretty obvious security process failure to me. I'd wager that the process as defined requires validation of identity. Are you sure though that the person at the bank didn't have your photo on her screen? That could well have brought it in line with the process. But otherwise it just illustrates how much easier it is to get software to follow a process than it is with wetware.
    In order to ACTIVATE your device, you need to know your phone banking or ATM banking password, which I assume is where the security aspect comes in.
    Yes, to an extent, although since you can also get a new ATM password by mail it doesn't deal with the situation where you've gone away for a couple of weeks and someone is taking mail from your mailbox if you aren't authenticated at the point of request for the new password.
    And besides, I was actually not logged in using 2-password verification, I was using Global view via my Jersey security device (my main account). So I was just as securely logged in as if I had been using a HK device.
    This is indeed true. But the "generate anyother code" step is protecting against people leaving a terminal with a session running without logging out (happens a lot I believe - people think that closing a browser window on a public conputer is sufficient - it isn't), and against "man in the middle" attacks which are relatively easy to do on Wi-Fi networks (the yellow button stuff for transfers is there for the same reason). In principle the code could be from the Jersey device, but I can see that would require a heap of programming which I suspect HSBC thinks just isn't worth the trouble for a minuscule number of cases where it would be useful.

And personally think that 2-password verification is fine. I WISH those morons would just allow me to sign a forum waiving my rights to excess security crap and allow me to operate my account the way I want to. It's my money ffs.
    I don't think that's under HSBC's control; I believe that HKMA rules mandate 2-factor authorisation these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Standard Chartered? I'm with them. One password, but I kind of wish they had something more. The only problem with SCB I've found is they beg you to borrow money, although not as much as Citibank! (which I don't have an account with).

Edit: And SCB doesn't charge for inter-HK bank transfers.
    And lo. They even have a branch in Metroplaza..... this day could be improving.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast