Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gunsnroses

AML - Proof of Address

Closed Thread

AML - Proof of Address

I'm trying to surrender a Zurich policy and they're trying to tell me that the statement that they sent to me a couple of days ago is not sufficient enough as proof of address as per anti-money laundering laws. Had sent them a utility bill copy originally and offered to send their own financial statement back.

Anyways.... do I need to get the new document (credit card statement) that I'm sending to them ( letter from employer ) reverified by a recognized financial officer (broker / SFC etc etc) or can I just send them the original?

I cant be bothered to go into Central and go through the signing process with my current broker / advisor.

I don't need the original document back.

The guy I spoke to on the phone wasnt exactly helpful. Kept doing the whole CYA thing *your policy may go up or down by the time we get your documents etc etc* rather than give me a clear list of options on what is acceptable.

A few things:

- Maybe they require two proofs of address (I know we do when onboarding certain clients)
    - The guy hasn't got a clue what he's talking about and is reading from script, but hasn't been properly trained. Suggest you ask to speak to a superior
    - How old was the bill you supplied (within the past three months)?
    - I would really be asking them, pushing hard, as to what is or isn't acceptable, as only they know that

When I did something similar with Skandia a few years back, I got fed up with all this messing around and just went personally to their office in Central. It saved a lot of hassle overall.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 04-10-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Anyways.... do I need to get the new document (credit card statement) that I'm sending to them ( letter from employer ) reverified by a recognized financial officer (broker / SFC etc etc) or can I just send them the original?

I cant be bothered to go into Central and go through the signing process with my current broker / advisor.

I don't need the original document back.
    They need to verify proof of your address by an original document which they have sight of. It is up to them to explain to you how that should take place - either by post or in person. Usually, it is in person, because they want continued possession of the document as much as you want to go into the branch to do it.

Looks like it might just be simpler to take a trip to Kwun Tong with the originals and get everything verified in person and not walk away until they close the acct down.

Thought it would be simple as sending them a utility bill (good enough @ HSBC) and/or sending their own damn statement back.

BTW, if you need anything certified, you know how to find me.

Ive just surrendered a skandia policy and they had my old uk address on file.

They called me on Wednesday and asked me about 10 security questions in lieu of having to send through proof of address. Should get the funds next week hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Ive just surrendered a skandia policy and they had my old uk address on file.

They called me on Wednesday and asked me about 10 security questions in lieu of having to send through proof of address. Should get the funds next week hopefully.
    Great! Drinks on next Friday then eh?
    wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Great! Drinks on next Friday then eh?
    Im off to Bangkok so no :P

Oh! All the funds will be gone in few hours' time there trebor...