buying travellers cheques using a credit card

buying travellers cheques using a credit card

is this possible is HK and has anyone tried before? my only experience is by cash.

also, is it possible to buy foreign currency in a bank using a credit card.

my visa card is from the UK. i need to buy US$. i would rather not get stung twice on the currency exchange by withdrawing from a UK sterling account into HK$ and then buying US$.

not possible to buy travellers cheques in hk using a credit card.

You can always call AMEX in HK or anywhere I think and pay for them via credit card, although I think they only take AMEX. Have you tried the Amex shop near the HSBC (back of it) Bldg? I would thin kthey only take Amex, but also might do other cards, becuase I think there is an ATM, maybe?, by them there too.

I am still surprised that HK has not caught on to credit and even debit card usage like in the US. I think it is because it so much safer to carry wads of cash that there i sno need to depend heavliy on CC.

Good luck.

Be carefull. The US$ exchange rates through credit cards can be about 5-8% more than the cash exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by STAM4NICK
    I am still surprised that HK has not caught on to credit and even debit card usage like in the US.
    What? I use credit cards and autopays for pretty much everything in HK except taxis and small items like cups of coffee... Most people I know do likewise - not least for the miles

standard and chartered said no. citibank said i needed an acoount with tem.
    hsbc turned down both my hsbc visa and debit cards.

AMEX office in central only take AMEX cards.

i have to go to the ATM at least two days in a row to get the amount i need since there is a daily withdrawal limit on my card.

very frustrating in this day and age of electronic banking/financing.

Wait .. are you trying to cash checks or buy TCs?

Any money changer will cash travellers checks for you.

I'm all confused.

trying to buy TC with a credit card.