Banking in HK

Closed Thread

Banking in HK

I am moving to HK in a month from the US. I would like to open just a basic checking acct at one of the HK banks? Which bank is recommended for this? I am not going to do anything too fancy. It is mainly so I can have access to some cash and to do wire transfers. I don't have much money so I need something that has a low minimum balance requirement. I have tried to work with HSBC but they do not respond to my emails and I have seen a few threads on here complaining about them. So any advice would be welcomed. I figure opening a bank account shouldn't be too difficult. Am I mistaken?

Standard Chartered, BEA, Hang Seng all offer very competent service and low or no minimum requirements. I'd not worry about HSBC....

Just go to the bank that is next to your Uni and open an account there, AFTER you've clarified what the charges and procedures for the transfers are...

When I arrived I had to show the Hang Seng Bank copies of utility bills with my former address on it. Bring along original copies of a cell bill for example. No copies.

I would say make sure you take a long your passport and your driver's licence, if you have one. Basically they need something with your address on it. Once you have been approved you should be able to change your address back to HK.