Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gruntfuttock

GBP to HKD FX - to buy in UK or wait till in HK?

Closed Thread

GBP to HKD FX - to buy in UK or wait till in HK?

Hi all,

Just thinking about money for my trip to HK on saturday.

The best rate I can get in the UK is roughly 12.5:1

Would I be better off waiting till I get to HK and brining GBP cash and swapping at local stores - is this common?

Would work better for me in the sense that I wont need to reconvert excess HKD back to GBP when I get home.

Thanks,
    Tom

See current bank rates here: https://bank.hangseng.com/1/2/rates/...exchange-rates

But, you need to pay (I think) HK$50 if you exchange money at Hang Seng if you are not an account holder. There are private exchange shops which will offer a similar rate, some with charges, some without (but a lower rate).

I usually use my ATM card, but that depends on what your bank charges to withdraw overseas.

Your best bet is just to use your UK ATM card to withdraw HK$ here, unless your bank has unusually high charges for overseas withdrawls.

TheBrit likes this.

Are there not local stores which convert currency willy nilly?

Yes of course, but you won't gain anything. What do you have against ATMs?

To use an ATM outside of the UK i'll have to pay an FX transaction fee (for my bank its 2.75% of sterling amount withdrawn) and then a fixed comission fee (£1.25).

If I take out £'s in the UK and bring them over, convert them in a corner shop as and when I need them at a decent rate, overall I think I'll be better off..... So if you say there are loads of places which do this, I will stick to this...

Thanks....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Corner shops?