questions about hsbc and hang seng bank

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Actually I should mention this - I opened my account (and various others) in the Festival Walk branch (Kowloon Tong MTR). I've helped a few people open accounts and we've never been asked for proof of job or income - only to put down a deposit.

thank again but the most important part was not answered: when you register for internet banking, can you start using it rightaway for sometime without the security device or do you have to wait for the security device before you can do anything?

can anybody who have an hsbc account answer this please:

-after you opened your account, received the atm card and went to register for internet banking, could you use internet banking for some time without the security device until it was delivered to you?

-does the hsbc atm card have an expiration date? if yes, do you have to go to a branch to renew it or can the new card be sent to you by mail?

Yes you can log on to internet banking for a period of time before the security device arrives. 10 days, I think, was the period. I got mine extended by ringing up because my device had not arrived but I'm premier and it might be different.
    Can't answer the ATM question, sorry

thanks movingin07, did it took more than 10 days for the security device to be delivered to your address in hk? as i will be staying for 12 days, it means that i will use my overseas address

Quote Originally Posted by loyd:
    -does the hsbc atm card have an expiration date?
    My "pure" ATM card doesn't appear to have an expiration date but it's tucked away in a drawer as backup for my Premier Mastercard which is a dual purpose ATM and credit card.

thanks PDLM, as you also have the account in jersey that you opened with their office in hk, i would like to know more about the process:

-When you went to their office with your documents, was your acount opened at that time or did you had to wait untill they send the docs to jersey?

-did you had to fund your account in their office at that time?

-did they give you the pin codes for for online banking at that time?

thank again PDLM, your experience with hsbc either in hk or jersey is very valuable

I'm an HSBC Premier customer in Hong Kong, so the process for opening HSBC accounts in other countries is somewhat simplified compared to "standard" accounts. I don't recall needing many documents (because of my Premier status here, so HSBC already knows me) - maybe just my HKID card. Nothing need to be sent to Jersey because HSBC Jersey has representatives (including Relationship Managers for Premiers) in Hong Kong. I didn't need to put any funds in the Jersey account, and I recall that my account was set up and I had all the information I needed within about two working days after a single visit. Anything else needed was done by email.

Last edited by PDLM; 26-07-2008 at 11:05 PM.

My jersey experience was much the same, although they stuffed up opening my internet access and that took weeks but that was not a normal experience.

on the web site of hsbc jersey, they say they will send the 2 pin codes for online banking by mail which sucks because you have to wait. i was happy to hear PDLM sorted everything out in 2 days