questions about hsbc and hang seng bank

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Actually, now you mention it, maybe I did have to wait for a PIN in the mail. But from Jersey to HK that was less than a week or so.

the good think about hsbc jersey is they don't require a security device to login, if you lose that device you cannot login until they send you the new one

That really depends on where you do your internet banking and how confident you are in the freedom of those machines from keyloggers or other similar devices. Personally I'm happy to have the security device in order to be able to do online stuff from public PCs without any worries.

some custumers want to use the security device, some don't. the problem is that hsbc is requiring everybody to use it, even those who don't want to

I hate the security device. HSBC (First Direct, UK) does not require one; HSBC International (Jersey) does not require one - why should HK? (HSBC NZ also requires one, which means I get them muddled up too!)

there is a possible solution to the security device problem, hsbc premier custumers can see all their worlwide premier accounts in a single page. so you can login in hsbc jersey and link your hsbc hk account to it to see it without having to login in hsbc hk web site

Actually that's not true. They told me it was when i opened my Jersey account, but actually what happens is that when you click on the link it asks for the security device code. Which is a great pity!

Quote Originally Posted by loyd:

- when you register for internet banking, can you choose to collect the security device in a hsbc branch instaid of it being sent to your address overseas?
    Yes. Can collect there. With HSBC you get 10 days where you only need login and password. After that, you need to use the device

-after the atm card expire, do you have to go to a branch in hk to receive the new one?
    I would imagine they can sent it to you or you collect it at the branch.

-after you register for internet banking, do you have access to all the fuction such as international wire transfer or do you have to activate these functions in a branch?
    With HSBC it's a bit complicated. I guess you need to register who you will sent money to. they have a lot of functions online (like changing currency, stock buying, etc. It all seems accessable, but wiring might be a bit tricky.

-when you go to the branch to open the account, do you have to pay the initial deposit in cash or can you make a wire after you get the account number?
    no need for deposit.

i hope som one who have an account with either of them can answer, i don't want to contact their custumer service as it takes too long to get a response, and don't want to waste money in calling them
    Answers above based on opening an HSBC account a week ago. Went very smoothly ...

edit : FYI. When opening the account they gave the ATM card immediately with Pin number. Took less then 5 days to get the security card and 10ish days after opening the account i received the Visa card (but they accidentely mailed the pin code to my home address in Europe).
    Last edited by FilipH; 27-07-2008 at 11:04 PM.

thanks FilipH, i would like to confirm with you again these details:

-did they gave you the choice to either colect the security device at their branch or having it mailed to you?

-at which branch did you open your account?

-did you open a powervantage or businessvantage account?

And did you expect the Spanish Inquisition?

(If you open a Premier account they do give you comfy chairs (& coffee) whilst waiting for service.)