questions about hsbc and hang seng bank

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

questions about hsbc and hang seng bank

i will stay in hk for 10 days and will open a hsbc or a hang seng bank account. i have few questions that i would like someone like pdlm who have an account with either of them to answer:

- when you register for internet banking, can you choose to collect the security device in a hsbc branch instaid of it being sent to your address overseas?

-was the security device sent using normal airmail or courier service?

-after the atm card expire, do you have to go to a branch in hk to receive the new one?

-after you register for internet banking, do you have access to all the fuction such as international wire transfer or do you have to activate these functions in a branch?

-when you go to the branch to open the account, do you have to pay the initial deposit in cash or can you make a wire after you get the account number?

i hope som one who have an account with either of them can answer, i don't want to contact their custumer service as it takes too long to get a response, and don't want to waste money in calling them

Quote Originally Posted by loyd:
    i have few questions that i would like someone like pdlm who have an account with either of them to answer
    Much as I would like to help, I am a HK Permanent Resident - my situation is completely different to that of a non-resident who just wishes to open a bank account whilst passing through Hong Kong. I'm afraid I really have no experience of that so I can't offer any advice. Sorry.

thanks pdlm for the reply, i think you can help by telling me if after register for internet banking, you had access to all its functions or did you had to activate them in a branch?
    thanks

It was 10 years ago when I registered so this was before the days of security devices. I really have no current experience. Sorry.

My experience only relates to HSBC but I have helped a couple of people open accounts. It's all quite straight forward. You will need three things:

1) Cash deposit (how much depends on the account)
    2) Proof of ID - i.e. passport
    3) Proof of address - i.e. driving licence

Note: I used a UK driving licence - I don't know about none EU licences or what else they'll accept.

If you've got all that you'll be fine. You can register for Internet banking immediately. You do NOT need a security device initially. They will however dispatch one to your correspondence address.

After this has been dispatched, you have a certain period of time before you have to register the security device to continue to use online banking.

As far as I know, you cannot collect the security device - at least I don't recall an option for it. It should go to the correspondence address you provided.

No idea with regards to the ATM card - but they can post a credit card or have it for local collection so I imagine they can do the same for the ATM card.

You have access to all of the internet banking features but the transfer limits will be set to zero. You will need to fill in a form ( available from Internet banking or in the branch ) to increase these limits. They can be posted to the bank after you've left the country (as I did).

You must make the initial deposit in cash. they will not accept a wire transfer but they may accept a cheque - can't say I tried.

HTH..

your post is very valuable MXZ, thank you for that, other questions please:

-was the security device shipped using normal mail or courier service?

-how much time it took the security device to arrive?

-if you have experience with wire transfer, how much time it takes a wire from abroad to arrive in a hsbc account in hk?

if you are curious why i choose hsbc, its because its the only bank in hk that let you do international wire transfer online and also let you specify the routing number or the iban (if any) of the recipient, not only the swift.

I opened my HSBC account before I arrived. I asked them to post the security device to my local address (my office, as I had not moved in anywhere yet) and they agreed. They ACTUALLY sent it to New Zealand, to an address I had not even officially given them. To this day I do not know where they got it from! Possibly off one of the pieces of ID I gave them (drivers licence I think).

Did exactly the same to my husband (it took him about a month to get internet for this reason).

They sent it normal post.

NO you cannot do wire transfers if you just open it up normally. You have to fill in various forms to activate this service and it takes 3 days after you hand the forms in (or mail to branch).

Make sure you bring your offer letter or equivalent with you to get the account opened (unless you are rich and doing Premier, in which case it all gets easier). A colleague of mine was refused to open a normal account on her visit here for that reason. I opened a premier account fine but did have my offer letter.

You can wire money later - I did.

PS - provided you know about the wire transfer forms you can fill them in when you open the account.

PPS - I wired money into my account from NZ, Aus and UK. NZ took 1 day; aus took 2 and UK took 3 .... so take you pick!

thank you all for your answers, what i understood from the expirence of MXZ is that you can start using internet banking for a period of time (lets say a month) before you receive the security device, after that period you have to start using the security device. i hope that MXZ or Movingin07 can confirm this

That was certainly the case when I opened my account and when my friend opened his account. I had my security device delivered locally and my friend had his delivered to his home. Both went by normal post as far as I can recall.

Remember, the security device is not registered to anything until you add it to online banking. If someone stole the letter before you got it, the security device is useless. When you get it, you have to punch in the serial number on the back to add it to your account. I guess that's why secure mail isn't needed

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast