Like Tree2Likes

HK credit card abroad?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Original Post Deleted
    Similar problem in Japan, the JR machines for purchasing the shinkansen and long distance trains don't seem to take overseas credit cards, asked me for a pin number that I don't have. I had to go into the office and line up, nearly missed my train last month in Fukui because of long queuing and then the 90 year old guy at the counter was pushing buttons on his terminal for 10 minutes before he could accept my card.

Original Post Deleted
    How many countries do not use chip and pin?

I never have a problem using my European cards everywhere. Perhaps it is time for Hong Kong to also use chip and pin.

Original Post Deleted
    We have had problems in the UK with HSBC credit cards. I have mentioned this a couple of times before but seemed to get fobbed off here like it never happened and I was making it up.
    Citibank works perfectly fine but we have had problems at Boots, British Rail and a couple of restaurants with HSBC.
    I think it comes down to a couple of things, one being that HK credit cards do actually have chips so the cashier puts it into the terminals slot. The machine says then it needs swiping, after that it is where the fun and games start. I have noticed it is the software on the terminals or the incompetence of the young cashiers.
    This incidence has happened on 3 separate trips and in places in either central London, Newcastle or the lake district.
    Anyway we now use citibank all the time now as we just dont know with HSBC if it is hit or miss and frankly it is bloody embarrassing.

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it. Not going to use it for atm, just if I want to make any purchases.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it. Not going to use it for atm, just if I want to make any purchases.

Three pages later, did you get the answer you were looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Three pages later, did you get the answer you were looking for?
    Sure, I've also spoken to a few colleagues that's lived in HK for a few years and go back to UK frequently, and they say most places will let me just sign for purchase, with some places asking to see passport for foreign ID, I'll be taking my HKSAR passport as well.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Report back Pro!

Will do!!!!!!

Four and a half years ago, over in Latin America, where the locals entered their pin for credit card transactions, catching me completely off-guard, I was asked for photo ID and a signature. This was at restaurants, supermarkets, etc. Not a big deal, and by now they will have recognised that foreigners may be doing it differently.