Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 100LL

how to deal with an unreasonable insurance agent who is responsible for my claim.

Closed Thread

how to deal with an unreasonable insurance agent who is responsible for my claim.

l recently went on a trip that required travel insurance, unfortunately items were stolen and a police report was obtained. cut to the chase, a claim was made, and they are only willing to make a partial compensation but only if I repurchase the stolen items! this would mean a further loss, since they would only pay half the price for the mobile stolen and other items.it does stipulate that in the policy for stolen phones, so this partial payment is acceptable. however l can't see where it says l have to repurchase the stolen items. some are gifts from overseas friends as well. l told the agent that surely l couldn't be expected to go to the trouble of buying the items and repurchasing my mobile. furthering my losses. lt has been 3 days and l have not heard from the insurance agent, no calls or emails. l will accept the partial compensation paid by cheque, but not having to go to trouble of repurchasing the items, especially at a significant loss. is there an ombudsman which could help?
    thanks for advices

have check the policy terms and conditions ?

compensation for today's market value? submission of prima facie evidence to substantiate your claim?

counterclaim with amazon/price.com.hk/ratuken pricing

ask for compensation equivalent to market value as you have the choice or ask they to buy exact replacement

actually first get an official statement from them, something in paper.

make sure all your communication with them is done in writing. And yes check the policy terms and conditions (although it sounds like you have). If you have everything in writing I would take it to the HK tribunal and make a complaint.

Yeah even with my policy it never said that my jewellery had to be worn. They only gave me partial as well. As I has accidentally left them in my luggage and checked it. I had read over my policy and it doesn't even spell out the conditions

Sent from my Z30 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by abibabu:
    make sure all your communication with them is done in writing. And yes check the policy terms and conditions (although it sounds like you have). If you have everything in writing I would take it to the HK tribunal and make a complaint.
    thanks for advices all, l got an email from them today, offering compensation payment at a further 20% less (almost 1000HKD) of the previous offer, which was already more than 20% less, excluding the >50% less for my mobile phone (3K cap.)

abibabu and others, l feel like l should demand the original amount they offered, (already significantly reduced) without having to repurchase as they unreasonably demanded. Threaten taking it to http://www.iccb.org.hk/en_index.htm or/and HK tribunal if they don't? comments please?

Reading about all these "scams" (intentional use of that word) with HK insurance companies makes me wonder why anybody would want a local insurance.

I personally would either forget about it, or fork out more money and get something I can trust from back home or more up to international standards.

HK_Katherine likes this.

further to last post...

the agent emailed and said that it was a "good will gesture" that they will make a cheque payment at a further -20% (almost 1000hkd).
    ridiculous "good will" esp considering l pay them almost 20K a month in investments and life insurances.

advice please

Last edited by Tioga; 20-06-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tioga:
    further to last post...

the agent emailed and said that it was a "good will gesture" that they will make a cheque payment at a further -20% (almost 1000hkd).
    ridiculous "good will" esp considering l pay them almost 20K a month in investments and life insurances.

advice please
    It really depends on the policy wording. Hard to comment on whether or not you have a case without knowing the terms.

In the wording there should be a procedure for how to handle disputes and how to escalate the issue beyond the insurer.

Are you sure it is the "agent" (suspect you're confusing the insurance company with an IFA). An agent cannot make you an offer to settle.

Hopefully you can get out of your life insurance. Hate to find out what sort of goodwill gestures they'll make if shit happens.