Like Tree34Likes

Banking in HK - rant

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

HSBC
    If you go to the head office in central then it's easy.
    They seem to know what they're doing.

Premier account opened and online banking set up. Pin issued and card arrived a week later.

In the branch for less than 45 minutes.

bibbju likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    HSBC
    If you go to the head office in central then it's easy.
    They seem to know what they're doing.

Premier account opened and online banking set up. Pin issued and card arrived a week later.

In the branch for less than 45 minutes.
    It was head office in central. THAT was why going back 3 times was so f'ing inconvenient...! And it WAS premier.

What I don't get here is why there seems to be no joined up thinking in some of the things they make you do.

One particularly frustrating example when I was with HSBC was getting my Internet banking setup. I needed to go into a branch and fill in a form which I did. Got the PIN generator, passwords etc a few days later and went online to transfer some money.

At which point I get an error message telling me that I couldn't do it because I didn't have transfers activated on my online banking. Annoyed, I called the helpline and was told to go back to the branch again to fill in another form.

So off I went again, baffled as to a) why I wasn't given this form when I filled in the first and b) what is the point of online banking if you can't make transfers and why the hell does this need a separate form?

This time as I filled in the new form (which 99% consisted of the same information from the previous one) I specifically asked the customer service officer in the bank if this was all I needed to do to make an online transfer. 'Yes', I was told. To double check I then asked if there were any extra forms I needed to be able to make an online transfer. 'No' was the response.

Fast forward a week, again I go online to make the transfer. Seemed to working fine, until I try to confirm the transfer. Error message again - although I now had online transfers activated my maximum transfer balance was set to $0.00 and I could not transfer above this amount.

WHY WHY WHY WHY????!?!?!?!?!?

WHAT IS THE POINT OF MAKING THIS ANOTHER F**KING FORM??? IF I'VE GONE THROUGH THE HASSLE OF FILLING IN THE OTHER TWO FORMS DID IT NOT CROSS SOMEBODY'S MIND, SOMEWHERE ALONG THE CHAIN THAT I ACTUALLY WANT TO MAKE A F**KING TRANSFER???

Needless to say I switched banks soon after.

pin, pb1234, Morrison and 4 others like this.

Oh don't get me started, I had the same issues with Hang Seng. Because I forgot my login/password, even if I gave them all my personal info they couldn't reset it. I had to go to the bank in person to cancel my online banking, then re-apply and wait for a new token... Finally when I received my new token, logged in - I ran into the same problem: I couldn't do any transfers! had to go to the bank to sign a form to change the transfer limit, f*ck that! They should have asked me right away, do they really think I just want to look at my account balance online? I guess they forgot the BANKING part of online banking...

Stu79 likes this.

If you don't like the way banking is done in Hong Kong, you know where the airport is.

Stu79 and wtbhotia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    If you don't like the way banking is done in Hong Kong, you know where the airport is.
    Why? Because the HSBC in Terminal 1 is any better than the rest of them?

Banking in HK - rant

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Never had that issue with BOC
    Rocked up with proof of address and HKID and job done. Debit card issued within a week.
    Never had a problem with HSBC. Walked in on my first Sat in HK, left 10 mins later with bank account, cheque book and debit card.

Edit: This was also Premier at 1QRC.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Last edited by bibbju; 05-12-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damasque:
    try opening an account at one of the China banks, they make you jump through hoops to disqualify you as a client. I tried at China Construction.
    That's exactly what I expected when I opened an account with BOC-HK. I wanted BOC to get their Visa card to use with Taobao. To my great disappointment, everything went really smooth, and to make it worse, everybody was nice and helpful. English was no problem either.

Really, that's not what I expect when I open an account with a Chinese bank! They totally spoiled the customer experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Never had a problem with HSBC. Walked in on my first Sat in HK, left 10 mins later with bank account, cheque book and debit card.

Edit: This was also Premier at 1QRC.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    How many years ago was that?

Has anyone the privilege to get a pin send to the phone, as opposed to a list or a generator? this seems to be widespread abroad.
    in China the problem I have experieced
    with a similar concept ( hotel card deposit)
    the pin expires within 30 seconds.
    so after the pin has arrived on my cell
    iHave a few seconds left to type it and no room for error.
    I think to stay with good old paper list is the best choice