Like Tree10Likes

Utilities and contracts: Autopaying from bank account vs. credit card direct debit

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    What do you mean "manually"? I pay our household bills via the PPS website (or mobile wherever) with a couple of clicks. I don't call that 'manual'.
    Well you still have to do it every time the bill arrives, whilst with auto pay/direct debit it's set it up and forget.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Well you still have to do it every time the bill arrives, whilst with auto pay/direct debit it's set it up and forget.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Some people have an issue with not being about to cancel autopay. PPS is an alternative for those who find not being able to cancel autopay a pain, yet can find one minute a month to pay fluctuating bills (or a few seconds to set up non-fluctuating bills, which they can then forget about).

I'm of the old school... 20+ years ago you had to write cheques or go to HK Electric, etc. or use the ATM. 20 years ago you had to call up and press buttons to pay via PPS. Now it's a couple of clicks - not 'manual' in my book.
    bookblogger likes this.

Sorry, didn't mean autopay... 'direct debit'. One particular Hong Kong company seemed to make up amounts that required payment, all under the limit, but the annoyance to get the money back!

And say again, PPS does offer automatic monthly payments.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 23-03-2015 at 12:49 PM.

It wasn't HK Electric in my case.

I see on the autopay set up forms that you send to your bank, you can specifiy an upper limit on the maximum size of the payment.

With credit card automatic payment, there appears to be no such thing.

I just want to avoid a scenario where a Mobile bill becomes an outrageously large amount through something like a roaming data dispute, and have no way of stopping them from charging my credit card as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    I see on the autopay set up forms that you send to your bank, you can specifiy an upper limit on the maximum size of the payment.

With credit card automatic payment, there appears to be no such thing.

I just want to avoid a scenario where a Mobile bill becomes an outrageously large amount through something like a roaming data dispute, and have no way of stopping them from charging my credit card as they please.
    That, to me, is being cautious. But to others it is 'paranoia'.

Original Post Deleted
    I have tried googling, but cannot find an answer to this, but is there any guarantee scheme around the Hong Kong "autopay" payment method? A bit like the UK Direct Debit scheme guarantee in the UK - Direct Debit - The Direct Debit Guarantee – Securing of all your Direct Debit payments

:

"
    Direct Debit Guarantee

Your rights

Organisations using the Direct Debit Scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised, and are closely monitored by the banking industry. The efficiency and security of Direct Debit is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.

The Direct Debit Guarantee applies to all Direct Debits. It protects you in the rare event that there is an error in the payment of your Direct Debit.

Direct Debit Guarantee
    •The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
    •If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
    •If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
    ◦If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
    •You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.

Take a look at our handy Direct Debit Guarantee leaflet which summarises the benefits of Direct Debit and gives details of the Guarantee."

dude, this is HK. Direct Debit guarantee is for the benefit of the consumer. HK does nothing that is to the benefit of the consumer.

Claire ex-ax, Mat, vmlinuz and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    dude, this is HK. Direct Debit guarantee is for the benefit of the consumer. HK does nothing that is to the benefit of the consumer.
    Yes that's what I thought. Does anyone have any horror stories of credit-card autopay arrangements with utility / phone / subscription services?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Yes that's what I thought. Does anyone have any horror stories of credit-card autopay arrangements with utility / phone / subscription services?
    yes i have but without going into details, i had to cancel a credit card in order to cut my ties. while they were happily billing me on a monthly basis before, i never heard from them again once i cut the card
    dossier likes this.