Like Tree3Likes

Best credit card in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best credit card in HK

Hi, can I get some suggestions on which credit cards people like using here? I already have a Cathay Pacific Amex on the way but would like a Visa/MasterCard to supplement it. I like collecting miles - I did some research and Citibank Prestige and HSBC Visa Signature seem to stand out.

Any comments?

I can't comment on the miles collection side of things, but certainly it helps to have a range of credit cards here as many restaurants and shops will have discounts for certain cards. I found that Amex, Hang Seng, Citibank and HSBC cards tend to be useful although I've seen discounts for other cards as well.

Rob2020 likes this.

OK that makes sense, thanks!

For Asia Miles, the BEA World Flyer card currently pays 1 mile per 5HKD - and that includes AAVS spending. Quite a bit better than the AMEX cards, imho

Thanks for that, I'll look into BEA, didn't even cross my mind to check out other banks.

This new AMEX blue cash card offers 1.25% cashback instead of points. Also at end of year, if you spent $98k or more, you get another $1000 cashback. so basically another 1% more or less. So basically they are offering 2% cashback on all purchases.

Now my question, is this better or worse than all the Asia miles, reward points, and other harebrained schemes the banks have come up with? Is it possible to calculate the actual dollar value of these programs?

Welcome Offer | American Express Hong Kong - Blue Cash℠ Credit Card from American Express

@bdw - people on the flyertalk forum have looked into this before and basically the conclusion is that if you get the right sort of flight (i.e. long haul business class) for your redemption, then the value of asia miles is much more than a 1-2% cashback. But obviously your mileage may vary depending on your spending and flying habits.

Also remember amex isn't accepted everywhere. From previous experience I've had about an 80% success rate with Amex.

Last edited by pin; 05-05-2015 at 09:49 AM.

What about the gourmet club ? I've been looking at that as some restaurants I go to give 25-50% off. Nice touch but a 1600 annual fee. Wondering if first year is free/waivable

DBS Black Mastercard is pretty good as well $6 - 1 mile local spend, $4 - 1 mile overseas. Also get complimentary Starwood Gold Membership.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast