Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mat
  • 2 Post By Shiojiri Hiro

How do we use Asia miles!

Closed Thread

Cool How do we use Asia miles!

Newbie question. Moving to HKG and I figure that Asia Miles seems to be a big deal here as many credit cards gives one rebate in Asia Miles.

So how do I use it? I have signed up for Asia Miles on their website and have their membership number. Do I simply quote the membership number during check in at flights? I tried doing that on my last flight visit on SIA and the airline check in counter lady drew a blank ! They said I can only use their Krisflyer or their partner membership

• So is Asia Miles different from individual airlines frequent flyer? For e.g. Cathay has Marco Polo as well! So which one do I quote when checking in..

pls advise

thx
    Last edited by john.doe1985; 21-06-2015 at 02:35 PM.

SQ isn't part of the Asiamiles program. Just collect them anyway, no harm doing so.

I think if you have Marco Polo and Asiamiles then just one will get the credit. Same for Miles+More and Miles+Smiles, I guess they work that out internally.

AM partners:
    https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/airlines

Last edited by flameproof; 21-06-2015 at 02:37 PM.

So I show both at an airline counter ? I.e. I claim on airlines own membership program + Asia miles?

Show all and let them chose one. If non works, sign up a new one.

My understanding is that the airlines have organized themselves into groups and they have different names for their mileage rewards program. Cathay and Dragonair are part of Airmiles. Air Canada uses Aeroplan miles. Some Chinese airlines have their own airmile plans. You should be able to provide the appropriate membership number when you book the ticket or when you check in. Air miles is popular among HK rewards programs for credit cards because of Cathay being one of the more popular airlines in HK.

Asia Miles is Cathay Pacific's frequent flyer program.

Cathay Is a part of the One World Alliance ( google them to find out their members ).

Asia Miles that are collected can be used with One World Partners.

Marco Polo is Cathay's loyalty program (a little different from the miles programs as it rewards actual flyers as opposed to those of us who earn miles through credit cards).

Needless to say, Singapore Airlines would not be amused with Asia Miles requests.

Why do you need to show your card at check in? I'm a Marco Polo member and whenever I fly with CX or dragon air I have always received my milage without showing my membership card at check in?

It can be a tough choice whether to use an airlines individual mileage program or the larger alliances ( one world, Sky miles, star alliance. I guess it depends on how often you travel & with what airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    Why do you need to show your card at check in? I'm a Marco Polo member and whenever I fly with CX or dragon air I have always received my milage without showing my membership card at check in?
    U dont have to show anything as long as u entered ur membership nbre when u booked ur tickets.
    shri and Seagulls! like this.

Cathay +BA etc are part of OneWorld.

Singapore +ANA etc are part of Star Alliance.

these are separate and rival schemes.

would suggest you join/focus on the scheme with the airline/airline combinations you will fly most. EG, if UK-HKG, perhaps a oneworld scheme would be best.

if you split between 2 schemes, you are unlikely to make any meaningful progress (eg make it to the next tier of membership) unless you fly a lot for work.

shri and HK_Katherine like this.