Like Tree14Likes

Which bank can transfer to HSBC, but is not HSBC?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which bank can transfer to HSBC, but is not HSBC?

HSBC has only one branch near me, and they recently converted it into a mostly empty "premier center" that doesn't even provide ATMs for us plebeians. I'm sick of their classist shit--it's okay to pick your customers, but it's not okay to refuse service to your customers, so I'm closing my account. (As if their involvement with the drug trade in Mexico and their terrible web interface weren't enough.)

The catch: I regularly transfer to HSBC accounts. Is there another bank that will let me do this without a fee, or a fee of a few dollars? Any bank that will let me do it online?

I do this with SCB and no charges to me (or the receiving person who has the HSBC account). Online only though. In fact SCB allow fee free online transfers to any bank in HK.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

SCB, along with all other non-HSBC/Hang Seng banks in Hong Kong, are in the Jetco network and you can use any Jetco ATM without a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Online only
    When you do an online transfer, do you get the same visible data on screen as you would with an ATM receipt? (I.e., an on-screen receipt with a reference number.)

Quote Originally Posted by matchstick man:
    When you do an online transfer, do you get the same visible data on screen as you would with an ATM receipt? (I.e., an on-screen receipt with a reference number.)
    Yes.

I've never done an ATM transfer. With SCB I always do online transfer. You can then print out the transaction details, which include a reference number.
    matchstick man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I do this with SCB and no charges to me (or the receiving person who has the HSBC account). Online only though. In fact SCB allow fee free online transfers to any bank in HK.
    This is only partially correct. No charges from SCB but there will be charges for the HSBC recipient.. HSBC charges for incoming local transfer of funds from banks outside HSBC. Fees is less for premier customers but is not free (unless you are a HSBC employee)
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by john.doe1985:
    This is only partially correct. No charges from SCB but there will be charges for the HSBC recipient.. HSBC charges for incoming local transfer of funds from banks outside HSBC. Fees is less for premier customers but is not free (unless you are a HSBC employee)
    Even for local transfers?

Are you sure about this? I have transferred SCB to HSBC online and no one I have done that to has brought up this charge.

Yes that is what happened to me several times when I got transfers from SCB to my HSBC account. I was deducted 15 or 25 HKD (can't remember) from each transfer (less than HKD5000). I even had to investigate who deducts this because my customers with SCB accounts asked their bank and the bank denied making any deductions. Then HSBC admitted it.

I'm a premier customer, I've never seen a charge for local inbound transfers.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast