Like Tree18Likes

Friday rant: Standard Chartered Bank

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ahh thanks - thats it! Maybe I should of just shouted at them down the phone - RIGHT TO LAND !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by banditz:
    Ahh thanks - thats it! Maybe I should of just shouted at them down the phone - RIGHT TO LAND !!!
    Most Hong Kong people know 'permanent' and 'not permanent'. So while you can work without a visa, you aren't PR so they marked you down as 'not permanent', which you are.

Won't help, most people in HK are unaware of RO or RTL status.

For those wondering why RO instead of typing RTL, it is because the designation on the hkid card is RO.

I did a masters degree in hk and it took me 4 hours for two offices to register me because Chinese University didn't know about RTL/RO and I had to show them the website and they had to call the immigration office to confirm.

wtbhotia and Morrison like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    First, lets deal with the usual stuff. This is a rant. This is a first world rant. If you can't get on board with these two facts, tough, deal with it and move on.

I know we all love to (rightly) bitch bout HSBC, but this time I'm going to bitch about Standard Chartered.

Lets get the following cleared up first. Overall consumer banking in Hong Kong is sh*t. Service is piss poor, offerings are piss poor, competition is piss poor. Its a case of finding out which bank is less shitty than the next bank.

SCB is probably one of the less shitty banks. Its OK at best, but better than HSBC.

One thing that fcuking annoys me is the amount of fcuking letters I get from them, I probably get at least one letter a day (if not more) from them. They tout on about saving the environment etc and I have signed up to their email service, but for fcuking everything I do with their securities and investment services i get a fcuking letter. Can't they just email me all this information?

Oh and the other thing, third party transfers. OK, they do offer it for free, that's good. BUT you have to register the transferee first. And once you register them, you get a fcuking letter. And on top of that you can only have 10 transferees registered at any one time.

Anyway rant over.
    It's funny how our bloody memory keeps things like this in mind... this post keeps coming to mind lately. I opened a SC account for this reason last year -- lesser of all the evils. But, like anyone, I need a credit card. And for whatever reason SC doesn't seem to want to give me one. My pay isn't from a "company", so I don't quality for the "auto-pay" cc option... So now I've tried again for a "standard" card based on my balance. Applied back in January/February.... still NOTHING! I call and ask what's up, they say it's "still processing, but we don't need any additional information" and "we'll mark it as urgent and give an answer for you in a few days".... wait two weeks, try again, same answer.

Wtf?!?!

To be honest, SC is rubbish - their ATM machines are so slow processing a simple cash withdrawal

Credit Card application - I am RO status which means I don't need a work visa, so I made an application for their world miles card and they put it on hold until I could provide a working visa proof. I told them 10 times but they kept telling they understand but they need to see a work visa. Made me quite angry because they are quite dumb! Told them to check with HK immigration what RO status means.
    I got the same request. So I sent in the letter I have from the Immigration Department rejecting my PR application and saying I have RTL which means I can work here without restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    I got the same request. So I sent in the letter I have from the Immigration Department rejecting my PR application and saying I have RTL which means I can work here without restriction.
    Did that work? All the have to do is google RO status HKID and they will the the answer. Anyway I gave up, using DBS black card which is $5 to a mile and also AMEX cathay card.

Standard Chartered is slow as anything processing any transactions. Everytime I make a deposit, the teller makes casual chat asking if I will consider some special interest rates. And I explain everytime that I am a US citizen and I can't have any investment services, your bank won't allow it. Of course they say no no that's not true, go thru the scheme, they are super excited at this point and leave the counter before asking you and come back 20 minutes later saying you're right or worst they ask you to go to the special room and wait 30 minutes for some sales guy to come and say the same thing. Meanwhile they only have 2 windows open and 25 people in the queue and usually at the next window is some Chinese lady complaining about her credit card bill.....

So I try to use the ATM's but they all have per limit transactions so that's another battle where you need to do several separate transactions.

I haven't had any trouble with annual fees though. I complained once and never saw an annual fee again. I have the AE platinum card which I'm cancelling, don't find it useful.

When applying for credit cards, if you do it standalone, usually they never call you. Find it annoying. So I apply for credit cards when I open my bank account, kind of as a condition, and the salesperson at the bank always finds a way. Don't understand the logic but that's the best way and never an annual fee. Some cards I never use too.

Agreed that AMEX is the easiest card to get as a standalone.

Morrison likes this.

Great to get all those miles, if you are lucky enough to redeem them. Everytime I try to redeem there is no availability. (Business class long haul)

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Standard Chartered is slow as anything processing any transactions. .
    True, I did a wire transfer on Thursday, the counter guy converted some HKD into USD to cover the wire and gave me a wire receipt. As of now the USD are still sitting in the USD account.

To be honest, SC is rubbish - their ATM machines are so slow processing a simple cash withdrawal

Credit Card application - I am RO status which means I don't need a work visa, so I made an application for their world miles card and they put it on hold until I could provide a working visa proof. I told them 10 times but they kept telling they understand but they need to see a work visa. Made me quite angry because they are quite dumb! Told them to check with HK immigration what RO status means.
    I have a 3 star id and they asked to see my work visa (stamp) or they would reject which they did. Their loss as I will use my Cathay or Citi card instead.

As for banking..I switched to DBS and its far better than HSBC and SCB.