Like Tree12Likes

Is it possible to download transactions from HSBC internet banking?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is it possible to download transactions from HSBC internet banking?

Hi all,

My other (overseas) banks all support downloading transactions in various file formats. From my quick look at HSBC internet banking (SmartVantage account) it seems like I can't do that with HSBC? Seems kind of incredible in a way, and yet sadly fairly predictable.

Any wiser souls know how to do this? The thought of manually entering data from statements is not too appealing.

Thanks.

Yes you can download the data. But only for a tiny amount of time - something like 30 days or so. You can also sign up for online statements - those hang around for longer but its not so easy to manipulate the data.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    You can also sign up for online statements - those hang around for longer but its not so easy to manipulate the data.
    Thats an understatement regarding the statements
    They are a pain in the ass.

You have to download them as PDF and then convert to XLS (or similar) for processing before you can even begin to do anything useful with them.

It sucks big time.

It is as I feared, then. It's amazing to me how backward HSBC HK is. You would think it would be a technologically world-leading bank, but it so isn't.

I will try to convert the pdf statements (which I have) but it does sound kind of tedious and time-consuming to manipulate them into something I can import to my budget application. Thanks so much for the replies.

Presume no one has found a way to do this? Looks like HSBC doesn't offer any Quicken friendly download options

Quote Originally Posted by haftl31
    Presume no one has found a way to do this? Looks like HSBC doesn't offer any Quicken friendly download options
    You can download transactions in xls format since they rolled out their last update last year.
    Select your account, and click "download" as per the below screenshot.

Name:  HSBC.jpg
Views: 7743
Size:  51.3 KB
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    You can download transactions in xls format since they rolled out their last update last year.
    Select your account, and click "download" as per the below screenshot.

Name:  HSBC.jpg
Views: 7743
Size:  51.3 KB
    Well, yeah it's a .csv file. But still can only search for transactions within last statement. Forget about seeing anything before April at the moment. There's no way to get a digital file of all your transactions, right? Only on the passbook. On my European banks I could search for any transaction within years past.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    Well, yeah it's a .csv file. But still can only search for transactions within last statement. Forget about seeing anything before April at the moment. There's no way to get a digital file of all your transactions, right? Only on the passbook. On my European banks I could search for any transaction within years past.
    You can download longer periods. Fill in the period you require in the "search" field, for instance from 1/1/18 onward, and you get the same .csv download option at the bottom of that list

Edit...forget it, thought it works but it doesn't
    Last edited by Edwardstorm; 09-05-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: incorrect info

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    On my European banks I could search for any transaction within years past.
    How crazy is that good for you !!!

If you're familiar with running python code, I wrote a few scripts to parse HSBC statements from PDF files to CSVs that importable via Excel. You'll need to download PDFs of your account statements locally, and then execute this script hsbc_hkg_parser.py against the directory where you've saved PDFs of statements....

https://github.com/jerenrich/HsbcHongKongParser

TheBrit likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast