Like Tree6Likes

HSBC Safe Deposit Boxes - New Terms

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Very few branches have safe deposit boxes. And those that do, have a long waiting list.

It seems the cost of renting the safe deposit boxes keep rising year after year.
    Since 2008 my locker rent has gone up 61%.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    What do people keep in safe deposit boxes?

I mean, apart from the Jason Bourne's of the forum ...
    Gold and property deeds in mine

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Reading the article and wondering:
    - isn't it illegal to own a firearm in Hong Kong? So pistols shouldn't be allowed in the safe box..
    - why 'marriage and birth certificates'? Can't you just go to the registry and ask for a copy?
    If I had to get an original birth cert for myself, I would be stuffed. Some countries' record keeping is crap.

I think you'd have to pay for copies from the registry. Could be a hassle if you needed several.

"Search of Birth Records

• HK$140 for Particular Search
    • HK$680 for General Search

Certified Copy of a Birth Entry
    • Local Applications: HK$140 per copy
    • Overseas Applications: HK$275 per copy plus an additional amount equivalent to the airmail postage at the normal rate"

Application for Search of Birth Records and/ or a Certified Copy of a Birth Entry | Immigration Department

Plus a birth or marriage certificate is rarely valid after a year of issue. If you need it they always ask for a true copy less than a year old in some countries even less than 6 months. Just had this issue myself recently.

Someone who shall remain anonymous speculated that this involves Marcos safe deposit boxes.. and a few others belonging to deposed dictators.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    Plus a birth or marriage certificate is rarely valid after a year of issue. If you need it they always ask for a true copy less than a year old in some countries even less than 6 months. Just had this issue myself recently.
    What? A birth certificate doesn't expire. Neither does a marriage certificate. What fucked-up country has birth certificates expire every year?

Well Netherlands for one. If you apply for a first passport both the the wedding and birth certificate can't be older than one year.
    I have experienced it in the past also with other countries (forgot what for)
    So no point putting them in a safety deposit box as by the time you need it you will have to go and get a new one...

Btw I agree with you, what could be better than the original! And another crazy thing most of the time it needs to be appostilled as well. So you get an official copy from the government and then they (other department of course) have to stamp it to say it is real.... [emoji33]