Like Tree13Likes

Visa debit card in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Visa debit card in HK?

Are there any banks in Hong Kong that offer Visa debit cards or something similar? I want a card that I can use for online transactions that is tied directly to my bank account (not credit).

Thanks!

Citibank ATM cum Visa Debit card is probably what you need

Though, I am actually in the market for a 'prepaid credit card from Mastercard or Visa' that I can use for paying online or giving to someone, where its a slightly dodgy. Haven't come across any yet ;(

gigglinggal likes this.

HK banks do not issue Visa/MasterCard debit cards. Alternatively, the equivalent is EPS/Unionpay which can be used for ATM transactions and POS purchases.

These EPS/Unionpay cards can't be used for online shopping/purchases unfortunately.

The only option I can think of for you to make online transactions without a credit card is to get an internet card (Not sure which bank offer that)

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    HK banks do not issue Visa/MasterCard debit cards. Alternatively, the equivalent is EPS/Unionpay which can be used for ATM transactions and POS purchases.

These EPS/Unionpay cards can't be used for online shopping/purchases unfortunately.

The only option I can think of for you to make online transactions without a credit card is to get an internet card (Not sure which bank offer that)
    Hi - isn't this a debit card?
    https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...MoreBAPB#three

Quote Originally Posted by john.doe1985:
    You can't make online transactions using this card.

There was an old topic discussing the same issue
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/135/thread293014.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    You can't make online transactions using this card.
    That's not an issue with only this card per say. Many online transactions don't allow debit cards and insist on a credit card in which case this won't work

though I get your wider point

You don't need a credit card to use PayPal online. They have the "Buyer Protection policy" which covers most of the stuff you buy online.

gigglinggal likes this.

I have used paypal before and it's been great for online shopping but I can't use it for booking flights. It also takes 3-4 days to transfer money into your paypal account and I'm looking for something a bit more instant.

Cash Passport Card, Multi-Currency Pre-Paid Cards | Travelex HK

You can just reload them with cash at any travelex store in HK and it works online anywhere they take Mastercard.
    gigglinggal likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast