Like Tree7Likes

American with HKID opening a bank account: Need to report US citizenship?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

American with HKID opening a bank account: Need to report US citizenship?

Hi all,

I tried searching for an answer here and elsewhere but couldn't find much info (maybe my searching skills are getting rusty).

I was born in HK with a HKID, left when I was young and became a naturalized US citizenship growing up in California, moved to Singapore for 8 years, and now back in HK for work. Opening a bank account in Singapore was super easy, and I had no choice but to use my US passport because my work visa at the time was based on my American citizenship.

Now that I'm back in HK, I obviously can open an account using my HKID, but what about my US citizenship? I'm guessing by American law I need to disclose it to the HK bank. Otherwise, I would be suspected of hiding money abroad, and I wouldn't want the bank here to get into trouble.

Also, I heard and read that the mere fact I'm a US citizenship means the new-account application process would take weeks. Is this true? I need to open an account ASAP, or else I won't get paid by my company for this month!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

have not had to open a bank account in years, but am pretty sure they now require you to tick a box stating whether or not you are a US citizen. If you tick no and they find out through other means I presume they can close your account.

Likewise if the US tax authorities find out, I presume there will be some penalties there.

Up to you at the end of the day.

Try opening an account with CITI Bank.

Should be less painful with an American bank.

Typed a reply but it disappeared :-( so this is the short version

The reason banks are reluctant to open bank accounts for Americans is because of the FATCA reporting requirements, too much of a pain in the backside to comply with and higher risk.

I assume you file taxes with the IRS every year, have a SSN etcetc. If so I would go to CITI bank. If you don't file taxes in the US then its a whole different story altogether and you may want to consider not disclosing that you are a US citizen.

shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

i just opened a Standard Chartered account at lunch time and they asked me If I am US citizen and if I have any US account, then they made me sign a form declaring my answers. Thank fook Im not a Yank

FATCA made it much worse, globally, but the requirement by local banks to declare whether or not you are a US Citizen or green card holder or subject ti US IRS taxes predates FATCA.

For both HSBC and Hang Seng here in the 90’s, I was required to make that declaration when opening an acocunt. And if the answer was yes, certain options were not available to me, such as a Hang Seng Securities trading account. Too much extra paperwork needed by Americans to make it worth the while of the bank.

As an American, I was frustrated then, and far more so now.

-Spode

Morrison likes this.

Legally you are required to report your citizenship. Whether you do or don't is a different story.

Shouldn't have delays for a personal account provided you have the proper documents.

@OP

If you have a 3 star ID (since you are born here), they probably won't bother you about citizenship. I used to get asked a lot in the past due to my accent and appearance however since I got my 3 star its been a breeze opening bank accounts in HK. No questions asked.
    IMO if they don't ask..don't tell but the choice is yours. Good Luck !!

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    @OP

If you have a 3 star ID (since you are born here), they probably won't bother you about citizenship. I used to get asked a lot in the past due to my accent and appearance however since I got my 3 star its been a breeze opening bank accounts in HK. No questions asked.
    IMO if they don't ask..don't tell but the choice is yours. Good Luck !!
    The bank omitting to ask due to a staff not understanding the rules doesn't give OP a free ride. OP still technically has the obligation. Most banks in HK follow the US rules and all new accounts require every single person (US and non-US person) to declare their status (i.e. US-person or non-US person). This even happens when an applicant applies for a mortgage in HK too.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    The bank omitting to ask due to a staff not understanding the rules doesn't give OP a free ride. OP still technically has the obligation. Most banks in HK follow the US rules and all new accounts require every single person (US and non-US person) to declare their status (i.e. US-person or non-US person). This even happens when an applicant applies for a mortgage in HK too.
    I have opened a few accounts (with the large local/Brit banks)in the past 30 days and have never been asked if I hold US citizenship after I produced my ID. I am aware that they need to follow "regulations" but they mostly don't care and neither do I . It all depends on the OP.
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast