Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By jmbf
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By knk

Amex vent

Closed Thread

Angry Amex vent

The quality of Amex in HK is shockingly bad especially when compared to the best ever service when in the UK

I only got the card a few months ago, completed a payment authorisation form from their site and was sent a letter saying everything is set up. I tried to make a payment after which was rejected and I got hit with a failed payment fee.

I called up customer services who said they would re imburse me the fee. A month later they hadn't and when i called again they had record of this so have to call again and explain again

I've had no problems with Amex over the years. In fact, they have probably been the best service-wise out of all the HK credit card companies that I use. On the other hand it's not hard to seem good when the competition is so crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbcjames:
    The quality of Amex in HK is shockingly bad especially when compared to the best ever service when in the UK

I only got the card a few months ago, completed a payment authorisation form from their site and was sent a letter saying everything is set up. I tried to make a payment after which was rejected and I got hit with a failed payment fee.

I called up customer services who said they would re imburse me the fee. A month later they hadn't and when i called again they had record of this so have to call again and explain again

I agree. The HK service is absolutely SHIT. This is why I moved my Amex Plat back to the US two decades ago and all my Amex cards are US issued. I have a local Cathay Card and rarely use it anymore due to the measly miles they offer.

The CSR's used to be Malaysian for a while and those folks were pretty good but lately its all local HK Chinese and the service is absolutely horrible.

Jared I think they are still Malaysian. The Mrs was charged for car insurance without her knowledge a few months ago(not sure of the details).

The rep who handled it was Malaysian for sure.

OP - you will soon learn to appreciate Amex in HK once you start coming in contact with other call centers. Welcome to Asia's World City.

jmbf and JaredHK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Jared I think they are still Malaysian. The Mrs was charged for car insurance without her knowledge a few months ago(not sure of the details).

The rep who handled it was Malaysian for sure.

OP - you will soon learn to appreciate Amex in HK once you start coming in contact with other call centers. Welcome to Asia's World City.
    They are migrating their KL call center to HK and China starting Oct - Dec 2016. This is what I was told my one of their Malaysian CSRs an hour ago. She sorted out my issue in a matter of minutes. I guess I got some of the local crap staff yesterday.

The ridiculous part was the guy telling me that perhaps the merchant would not accept my Amex card because I was not Chinese and local shops might have a trust issue with a foreigner using a Platinum card.

Citi HK has been improving over the past few months and some of the Chinese banks are quite good especially BOC.

Really?

I've just cut up and returned my UK Amex card as I felt the UK service was absolutely sh**e compared to HK customer service!

I can not fault Amex HK so it's sad to hear people who have poor experiences.
    Whilst on holiday in South Africa over the summer my card was cloned. I received an email from them saying there were suspicious transactions. I gave them my local number and they called immediately as we were going g through the different transactions more were popping up on the amex guys screen. Everything was sorted and I received my new card in the time frame they said.

shri likes this.