Like Tree5Likes

HSBC refused Gold (lowest) Credit Card

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

When I first arrived in HK, I managed to get a credit card from HSBC within the first month that I arrived. All I had to show was my employment contract and lease. Never had troubles getting a credit card.

I heard something today from a DH here, who has been in town over 20 years, with HSBC, never had any credit issues and has a significant amount of cash in the bank (>HKD450,000), fully supporting documentation from her employer, and who had several times been told by front desk staff who know her that she should apply for a credit card, which she did 4 times, and in every case this was denied with no reason given. Then today she asked again why people such as her were being denied and she was told after a lot of prodding that it was because she was not a permanent resident, and that this rule applied to all nationalities! Now I am sure that HSBC doesn't deny all temporary residents, so one has of course to assume it was a lie and that it was because she is a DH. Does anyone else have any advice to give on this matter please? For example, is it in fact true that HSBC won't issue credit cards to DH's, even if they have an impeccable record with the bank and have more than enough funds held with them to cover any credit card debt? Is it true (I doubt it, but I just need to verify this) that non-permanent (temporary) residents will have their applications for a credit card denied?

Quote Originally Posted by fougeres:
    Does anyone else have any advice to give on this matter please?
    There are plenty of other banks in town. Try a different one.
    The issue could be her visa status being a DH - there are too many stories about DHs getting into debt and then skipping town - perhaps past history has taught HSBC a lesson about lending to high risk groups.

Quote Originally Posted by fougeres:
    has a significant amount of cash in the bank (>HKD450,000)
    Surely with some of that amount locked into a time deposit, the bank could give her a card linked to the time deposit amount.

Good suggestion from emx about linking to a deposit account! She could try that.
    The issue basically is, I think, that there seems to now be a blanket policy at HSBC to deny cc facilities based purely on DH status, and without any reference to the particular person's record! Somewhere a computer makes the decision based on an ID Card type (at least I suspect).
    On HowardCoombs' comment: thanks: apparently she also got denied a credit card by Citibank (where she was apparently able to open a normal account with no problem).

Don't feel too bad. Even I have been denied all sorts of shit by HSBC, and recently found out that they did not have me classified as a permanent resident.