Like Tree4Likes

how to open bank checking account

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

how to open bank checking account

My aunt holds Hong Kong ID, retired senior living in Vancouver. She travels to Hong Kong occasionally, staying with us. She has saving account and credit card at Bank of China Hong Kong.

What does she need to open bank checking account? Can she use my address?
    Can she write check for payments at Vancouver? Thank you.

also, she will be writing Canadian Dollars and US Dollars amount checks in Canada and USA.

Quote Originally Posted by young707:
    She has saving account and credit card at Bank of China Hong Kong.

Can she write check for payments at Vancouver?

also, she will be writing Canadian Dollars and US Dollars amount checks in Canada and USA.

Missing key elements.

Is your auntie a Permenant resident?

If so, then she needs to declare that she is not a US person and provide proof of address with her name on it. Yes she can use your address but again her name needs to be on it and needs to be within last 3 months. Change the utilities to her name or get her a mobile phone plan.

HK checks only work in Hk.

Hk banks offer HKD, RMB and USD checks. But they must be deposited into a HK bank. If you pay someone in Canada with a HK check. They will be pissed off.

I think some exception that you can deposit US bank USD checks in Hk but I'm not sure. There will be a fee and it's just better to wire the money.

Never heard of Canadian checkbooks in Hk.

Open a mobile phone w her name, open HSBC premier. Have them open a premier in canada. Easy to move funds. Don't use checks.

Since BOC already has your aunt's address probably she could upgrade her savings account to a current account by just showing her HKID. Be aware though that banks in HK will share financial data with other countries. If your aunt has substantial amounts of money in HK she could be taxed in Canada. My bro who is a resident of an EU country went to hsbc recently to open an account. They required his social security number in EU.

shri likes this.

She is not permenant resident of Canada yet. May be few more year, later but not certain; she has not decided.

She is still resident of Hong Kong. Her Bank of China HK saving account has her latest Hong Kong address. That is her property.

What does she need to open bank checking account? Can she use my address?
    Her Bank of China HK saving account has her latest Hong Kong address. That is her property.
    Why would she need to use your address when she already has her own?

Just open a new account in Canada, using her Canadian address.

Since you mentioned in your 1st post that she lives in Vancouver and travels occassionally to HK her residency is not HK but Canada. You could argue that she still is HKPR but living more than 180 days per year outside of HK makes her taxable in Canada. You know people who live in HK and work in Mainland for more than 180 days per year get a surprise from Mainland's tax department.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    Since you mentioned in your 1st post that she lives in Vancouver and travels occassionally to HK her residency is not HK but Canada. You could argue that she still is HKPR but living more than 180 days per year outside of HK makes her taxable in Canada. You know people who live in HK and work in Mainland for more than 180 days per year get a surprise from Mainland's tax department.
    So if you keep your time in the Mainland under 180 days, no problems with PRC tax?

Her money is in Hong Kong.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast