Like Tree5Likes

Travel insurance which won't break the bank

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Travel insurance which won't break the bank

Hi everyone,

I can't find a travel insurance cheaper than ~90 HKD for a few days single trip or 1500 for multi trip year cover. My main interest is to cover unexpected medical expenses, if such happen. Back in the UK I would get a 1 year cover for less than 30GBP, 300HKD. Any advice?

Do you have medical insurance here? If yes check if it covers oversea or can be extended cheaply.

My credit card provides free 'sign n fly' travel insurance as long as the airfare or 50% of tour cost is paid with the credit card then I'm automatically covered. Includes flight delays, luggage delays, loss of luggage, death and disablement, medical expenses, emergency evacuation, repatriation, etc

@bdw, so let's say your hiking in Tibet and you have a medical emergency, is there a special phone number that you call and your credit card comes to the rescue? :-p

Has anyone made a claim before? Can you share your experience.

I have a credit card which provides free accident insurance if I "pay for the whole trip" through it. Which I didn't for a future trip, and in any event I want medical insurance not just in case of an accident (although it's the more likely event).

I don't have a private medical insurance in HK yet and I doubt I'll get one in the near future. Not until someone else pays for it

Medivac (Medical Evacuation): hardly any travel insurance pays for this unless it costs more than 500 hkd per week. You can buy this through the most expensive channels of CHUBB Travel Insurance but I don't recommend them as I have had a bad experience with them this past Christmas. One of my colleagues went surfing off the coast of South Taiwan (keep in mind that Taiwan has good healthcare, public healthcare...) and fell while surfing, cracked his head. His 10 000 / month life insurance paid for him to get medical evacuation via helicopter and jet to BRISBANE where he was diagnosed with brain cancer. It was a very difficult diagnosis to make actually. Anyway. Medical evacuation is harder to get than repatriation of remains.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    @bdw, so let's say your hiking in Tibet and you have a medical emergency, is there a special phone number that you call and your credit card comes to the rescue? :-p

Standard Chartered Visa Card Sign'n'fly travel insurance is provided by MSIG and there is a 24 hour emergency number to call

2014 SCB VS SignFly - Summary_ 20140723 (Cfm811_clean).pdf
    HK_Katherine and irisboards like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:

My American Express card comes with this and I have used it extensively. For delay; missed flight; lost and damaged luggage and medical. Yes, it comes with a number.
    bdw and pin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PokfooLamin:
    Medivac (Medical Evacuation): hardly any travel insurance pays for this unless it costs more than 500 hkd per week. You can buy this through the most expensive channels of CHUBB Travel Insurance but I don't recommend them as I have had a bad experience with them this past Christmas. One of my colleagues went surfing off the coast of South Taiwan (keep in mind that Taiwan has good healthcare, public healthcare...) and fell while surfing, cracked his head. His 10 000 / month life insurance paid for him to get medical evacuation via helicopter and jet to BRISBANE where he was diagnosed with brain cancer. It was a very difficult diagnosis to make actually. Anyway. Medical evacuation is harder to get than repatriation of remains.
    For this I have Austrian Alpine Club membership. It gets you out of the mountains after an incident while hiking/mountaineering etc. Normal travel insurances does not cover helicopter evacuation etc. And as almost all of our holidays involve hiking, its worth it. Costs 95 GBP per annum for the membership... and you get discounts on alpine huts in Austria too.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/

I was always very happy with these guys. Covers medical evacuation and also my expensive camera gear.

Else drop Kwiksure a line, they might be able to come up with a better quote for you.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast