Best way to send HKD to USA?

Closed Thread

Question Best way to send HKD to USA?

Hi everyone,

What's the best way to send about 3K USD from HK (HKD account) to a USD account in the US? Not a Citibank/HSBC account with their global free transfers, unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Hi everyone,

What's the best way to send about 3K USD from HK (HKD account) to a USD account in the US? Not a Citibank/HSBC account with their global free transfers, unfortunately...
    The service fee isnt much, something nominal like $65 to send via bank if I recall.What is your bank charging?

I don't know yet, but will find out tomorrow, I hope.

It isn't, but it's 200HKD!!!!!! Greedy sons of harlots!

I've used clearfx.com before. The benefit with these guys is you send them your HKD via a local HKD transfer (free) and then they will do the conversion for you and also deposit in the overseas account you choose without any fees on their side (But still could be some middle or receiving bank fees). I just did a spot quote to send HKD50k using them now. Not sure how this compares to the big banks such as HSBC and who gives the better rate and whether its worth it to get a better rate but pay the fees, or a worse rate with no fees, etc

Name:  USD.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  20.1 KB

I would just use an ATM card issued by banks in HK and withdraw cash overseas. Good exchange rates. Maybe just HK$20 overseas withdrawal fee.

Original Post Deleted
    Unfortunately, they don't do HK -> US of A (they do the opposite direction).

I ended up doing a bank transfer and it was something like 400 HKD, unfortunately.

Ask your bank what intermediary bank they use and what their cut is, this can easily be another 20 gone