Like Tree33Likes

New HSBC App - With Pin Generation

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Seems like the Android app does not have the fingerprint option. Which is good, your phone cannot be used to empty your account if you are dead.

can you register several devices, so if you l O se one, it's not a big deal ?

I wish more bank accounts in Hong Kong had 2-factor login. I think it's a security risk entering your PIN on a webpage even if it may be an encrypted connection, and I would like to use a longer, more secure password with a combo symbols, upper/undercase letters and numbers.

Isn't two factor by SMS supposed to be considered unsecure now?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    can you register several devices, so if you l O se one, it's not a big deal ?
    If this is the same as I have with my HSBC account in the UK (and it looks very similar from the web shots) then no, you CANNOT use it on more than one phone. Because I tried with my UK one.

I did change the phone though - and got a message saying that now I had set it up on the new phone, it could not be used on the old one. Fairly easy to deal with a new phone in that case.

It's much better than the security device in that I always have my phone with me.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Isn't two factor by SMS supposed to be considered unsecure now?
    What is secure now?

I did it this morning. Finally no need for the annoying the device. But downside is you can only use it on one phone.

Frigging finally! So long waiting to get rid of the damn token. I'm pretty sure I saw the token option within the app when I once installed it years ago, but didn't go for it then, and never found it again. I think maybe it was working on the US version of the app?

Nevermind, it is now officially working in HK. Hope they integrate at some point with the fingerprint reader in Android...But I´m not sure they will. They're so damn afraid of using someone's API.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Noticed that the new app update seems to eliminate the need to carry your pin device.

Anyone tried it?
    This is not specific to HSBC. Other banks use a similar construction, where the app on your mobile phone generates temporary PIN numbers for transactions which you want to do online.

AFAIK has only iPhone (the recent ones) a fingerprint reader in their center button. It is this button (plus the validation software) which can be used by the bank's app for verification. I don't think there is yet an Android phone which has a similar fingerprint authentication.

We may complain about having to use that security device for HSBC, but check out what I have to use for one of Nationwide in the UK:

Morrison likes this.