Like Tree42Likes

AMEX "The platinum card"

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Half the benefits, double the price. The HK way.
    I'd say this about sums it up.

If you are "into" "that" kind of expat lifestyle, shopping in Harvey Nicholls, eating in the Peninsular, travelling business class on fancy holidays with the family every other week - you MIGHT just get your money's worth. Maybe. And if you are "that" kind of person you probably care about the status is conveys.

But honestly, the only reason I still have one is that every time I try and cancel it I have just missed the window to get my fees back! It was worth it when it was 3k and included insurance. It's certainly not now. I just need to get around to cancelling.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Just looked at the benefits. 3K Travel credit, 2K restaurant credit which looks pretty ok.
    All amex plat cards get Gold Status with SPG/Hilton/ Marriott and several others. This is worth it as it gets you upgrades, exec lounge access, breakfast , late checkout etc.
    Priority Pass access is also pretty good if you travel a lot
    + access to the upcoming Centurion Lounge in HK, Cenurion lounges in the US and soon other countries. This is a great perk that I use regularly.
    There are also loads of other perks like Uber status, boingo wifi and more that they don't list but is avail on HK cards.

The benefits are pretty decent for 7800 unless there are restrictions on the travel credit and restaurant credit.

https://www.americanexpress.com/hk/e...platinum-card/
    The travel credit is bloody hard to use. I travel all the time, for business and pleasure, and have never been able to use it.
    JaredHK likes this.

Just looked at the benefits. 3K Travel credit, 2K restaurant credit which looks pretty ok.
    All amex plat cards get Gold Status with SPG/Hilton/ Marriott and several others. This is worth it as it gets you upgrades, exec lounge access, breakfast , late checkout etc.
    Priority Pass access is also pretty good if you travel a lot
    + access to the upcoming Centurion Lounge in HK, Cenurion lounges in the US and soon other countries. This is a great perk that I use regularly.
    There are also loads of other perks like Uber status, boingo wifi and more that they don't list but is avail on HK cards.

The benefits are pretty decent for 7800 unless there are restrictions on the travel credit and restaurant credit.

https://www.americanexpress.com/hk/e...platinum-card/
    OK, so you get HKD5,000 spend. As someone has pointed out using the travel credit might prove difficult.

As for the other benefits, there are other (cheaper ways of getting them).

I do admittedly pay for Citi Prestige and have SCB priority banking, so get Priority Pass anyway. Citi Prestige also comes with Boingo internet, and now some very useful insurance benefits (along with 25k miles a year). SCB Priority credit card gives me Hilton Gold.

I guess there is the CS aspect, but for me anyway, am not sure whether its worth it for the money.

One benefit that might be useful is the comprehensive travel insurance, but not sure if you have to pay with the card to benefit from that.

Then there is always the Centurion card at HKD38k a year!
    JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    The travel credit is bloody hard to use. I travel all the time, for business and pleasure, and have never been able to use it.
    exactly. If I travel for leisure, I would just book the hotel directly. This is the cheapest way if you reach certain status. For business, the company arranges it for me

Disclosure: yes I'm a plat charge card holder
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Fees

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    I got an invite a few times but declined because of the fees. I know people who have the card and all say it's not worth the fees. Even a friend who works for AMEAX said it is not worth it.
    The fees are relatively ok compared to the Centurian Black card. Those fees make the Platinum card fees look like a bargain! The Centurian fees run in the thousands! Like $5000! The Platinum card is ok. Not bad. It offers some nice perks. For about $450 a year.
    Last edited by GlennBond; 02-06-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Mis spelled

Creating an outrageously ridiculous product always has been a good marketing strategy for selling mostly ridiculous products....

Are you talking about USD?
    In HK the platinum card cost 7.800 HKD which is 1000 USD.
    But yeah probably there are more expensive cards out there...

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    OK, so you get HKD5,000 spend. As someone has pointed out using the travel credit might prove difficult.

Then there is always the Centurion card at HKD38k a year!

I spoke with a local guy at work who uses the Amex travel credit and says he has no issues using it. Amex HK should use the same system they have in the US where we pick an airline and the credit is auto deducted once you get ticketed or buy their gift cards.

It all depends on what perks/benefits suit your needs. What works for you might not be suitable for others
    Some of us might see no issue paying a premium if they are using all the perks the card provides. A good example is all the insurance stuff you find useful... I could care less about it as I have existing policies or options that cover it. I travel close to 200 days a year and to me Amex Plat is my main card followed by my SPG Amex Card.

Centurion Lounge Access, Unrestricted PP access + Guests, x5 miles to $1, Hotel status, Car rental Status, Uber status + $200 Credit and tons of other benefits for $150 US a year after the $400 travel/uber credit is a bargain. I moved my Amex plat to the US back in '94 but if I did not have that option..I would gladly hold on to a HK Plat card.

I had a Citi Prestige HK & Singapore.. both cancelled as the service totally sucks. Its easy to get carried away with all the stuff they advertise with the Asian Prestige but when you do actually have to make a claim...thats another story.
    I am still holding on to my US card until 23rd July when they lose the golf and Admirals club access. At the moment I pay $350 and it serves its purpose.

Then there is always the Centurion card at HKD38k a year! <<< -----
    I was offered this but the Plat personal & Biz have far better perks... No thanks Amex
    Last edited by JaredHK; 02-06-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Have the UK platinum charge for quite a while now and its probably worth it. Main thing are the travel benefits and hotel upgrades which we use a couple times a year. Eg staying in the mandarin oriental this summer, we'll get a room upgrade, free daily breakfast, and a $100 usd spa/food voucher.

Their insurance is also pretty good.

If you don't travel and don't need insurance then probably not worth it.

Agree

Agree. The US card is worth it. I used to have the Centurisn black card and those fees make the Platinum card fees look like pocket change! I gave up the Centurian card because it basically had the same benefits as the Platinum! Love Amex!

CENTER][/CENTER]

I have the US Platinum and its well worth the $450 I pay for it. I used to have the HK and cancelled it years ago when the fees were still $5500.

Have you guys tried asking amex for retention offers instead of fee waivers? I usually ask Amex in the US for this and end up with 30-40K MR and $100 off if I meet a 2K US spend in 3 months.
    JaredHK likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast