Like Tree42Likes

AMEX "The platinum card"

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    HK travel insurance is very limited for CDW, we are often talking about a few thousand HKD.
    I use the annual car insurance from worldwideinsure.com for car rental. Cost £115 a year including second driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    I use the annual car insurance from worldwideinsure.com for car rental. Cost £115 a year including second driver.
    That one only covers the excess, which most travel insurances already do as well.

HK travel insurance is very limited for CDW, we are often talking about a few thousand HKD.
    I know, they usually only cover the excess. (Mine covers up to 2000USD/1500 EUR) The Amex insurance is quite good, but you have to make sure to only rent cars that are worth less than 75,000 Euro or you will be liable for the difference if the car gets stolen or totaled. Even if you are only renting a 5 Series, you might be looking at ten thousand Euro or more.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 03-03-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    shri and Sith like this.

@mrgoodkat - I assume the liability is on the rental contract? Curious for planning...

And you have the option of insuring just the excess over 75K?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    That one only covers the excess, which most travel insurances already do as well.

I know, they usually only cover the excess. (Mine covers up to 2000USD/1500 EUR) The Amex insurance is quite good, but you have to make sure to only rent cars that are worth less than 75,000 Euro or you will be liable for the difference if the car gets stolen or totaled. Even if you are only renting a 5 Series, you might be looking at ten thousand Euro or more.
    Yes you are right it is only for the excess but I thought that is what he was talking about. I mean the CDW is standard and in most cases not optional (except for the excess that you can choose)

With the above insurance no need to pay for extra insurance when renting.

Regarding your point of a limit on the CDW I haven’t seen that but usually don’t read the fine print (although I did that last time)
    Strange that they rent you a car with CDW that doesn’t cover the car’s cost.
    Will pay attention next time.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @mrgoodkat - I assume the liability is on the rental contract? Curious for planning...

And you have the option of insuring just the excess over 75K?
    If you rent a car they usually come with third party insurance. Some companies also make you buy the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver, pretty much comprehensive insurance) with varying excess. Some companies let you decide if you want the CDW or not. If you don't buy it, you are a on the hook for damages to the car in an accident or if the car gets stolen. The AMEX comes with a CDW, which will pay a maximum of 75,000 Euro. But at least in Europe most rental cars are over that, in which case you would have to pay the difference yourself. The rental car company won't offer you the choice of only insuring the amount over 75,000, because they obviously want to sell you their CDW. They don't care about your credit card insurance etc.
    For example Sixt gives you the choice of buying the CDW. For a 5 series the charge is 16 Euro per day with excess of 1150 Euro, 19 Euro per day for excess of 550 Euro and 28 Euro for zero excess. For one week that's another 200 Euro on top of the rental charges.
    shri likes this.

Just reviving this very old thread.

Aware that Amex Platinum charge card is HKD7.8k a year. At the moment however seems to be a promotion going on to the end of the month where you could get rebates up to HKD8.5k applying for the card, which would cover it for the first year. More details here (will need google translate).

https://www.mrmiles.hk/ae-platinum-c...turion-lounge/

I do remain tempted for this card especially for travel insurance and the car excess (even though noting the cover is only up to USD75k).

Just reviving this very old thread.

Aware that Amex Platinum charge card is HKD7.8k a year. At the moment however seems to be a promotion going on to the end of the month where you could get rebates up to HKD8.5k applying for the card, which would cover it for the first year. More details here (will need google translate).

https://www.mrmiles.hk/ae-platinum-c...turion-lounge/

I do remain tempted for this card especially for travel insurance and the car excess (even though noting the cover is only up to USD75k).
    the most expensive annual zurich travel insurnace for a family is about $3500 and the coverage is much better than AMEX

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    the most expensive annual zurich travel insurnace for a family is about $3500 and the coverage is much better than AMEX
    There are other more important benefits for this card. Its made of metal! Prestige baby
    pin likes this.

What do all the supposed benefits / cashback mean in English?

Effective 04 July 2023 the annual fee will rise from HKD7,800 to HKD9,500, an increase of 22% ... as yet unclear if / what additional benefits are planned.

pin likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast