Best places to change money

Closed Thread

Best places to change money

My work involves a reasonable amount of travel. In fact, I am off to India next week.

Just wondering where the best places are to get foreign currency... I can withdraw at foreign atms with my bank card but assume that is laden with fees left, right and centre! I generally need to have a reasonable amount of cash as my work can sometimes take me to relatively remote areas where there might not be readily available atms. Accordingly, I thought the best bet was to withdraw some hkd and change it prior to departure.

I see money changers on almost every street near my office, but can't be arsed to check them all out.

Just after some suggestions of decent places to go that aren't too much of a rip off - getting the absolute best rate isn't too much of an issue as I get reimbursed the difference between what I change initially, and what I get back at the end of the trip, if you see what I mean!

Try Kin Shing at Chungking Mansions or Wall Street. I usually get all my currency from these two as they tend to have the best deals.

Berlin Company Exchange Limited in Central 百年找換有限公司 Berlin Company Exchange Limited or
    NGAU KEE MONEY CHANGER NGAU KEE MONEY CHANGER CO., LTD.

As far as I can tell, withdrawing at foreign ATM's with your HK card is actually not bad and if you are withdrawing a decent size amount the fees are negligible and even considering the fees you will get the best possible rates doing this. Furthermore, if you have something like Standard Chartered Priority banking, the fees at every ATM machine at every bank worldwide are waived. This is better than HSBC Premier that only waive the fees on HSBC ATM's worldwide. But in both instances, there are still some hidden fees in the transaction, it is not really 'fee free'.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    As far as I can tell, withdrawing at foreign ATM's with your HK card is actually not bad and if you are withdrawing a decent size amount the fees are negligible and even considering the fees you will get the best possible rates doing this. Furthermore, if you have something like Standard Chartered Priority banking, the fees at every ATM machine at every bank worldwide are waived. This is better than HSBC Premier that only waive the fees on HSBC ATM's worldwide. But in both instances, there are still some hidden fees in the transaction, it is not really 'fee free'.
    Agree - I travel a lot for work as well and I find that withdrawing from local ATM usually gets me the best rates vs exchanging ahead of time. In terms of excess currency, I will usually spend all my leftover cash when settling the hotel bill and then uber to the airport.