Like Tree31Likes

Medical/Health insurance for expats

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Medical/Health insurance for expats

Hello,

I have shifted to HK along with my spouse since 5 months.

I am looking for a Medical/Health insurance for both of us. Kindly suggest any of your experience, pointers and details/information. We both are working here and our employers does not provide any medical benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143
    Hello,

I have shifted to HK along with my spouse since 5 months.

I am looking for a Medical/Health insurance for both of us. Kindly suggest any of your experience, pointers and details/information. We both are working here and our employers does not provide any medical benefits.
    It's best to talk to a broker. You tell them your needs and then they give you a spreadsheet comparing benefits and fees for different plans to choose from. I use Pacific Prime. Keep in mind public health care here is cheap and sufficient for most needs.

https://www.pacificprime.com/

What sort of coverage are you looking for? The price range can be from 100s a month to 10Ks per month depending on your requirements.

Local plans are cheaper - but lower coverages
    Expat plans can be made cheaper if you pick very high deductibles (or self insure your less risky issues) - can you deal with HKD$10-20-40K deductibles?

Might be best to start your early research with vendors like AXA, Manulife, BUPA etc and see what appeals to you.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    It's best to talk to a broker. You tell them your needs and then they give you a spreadsheet comparing benefits and fees for different plans to choose from. I use Pacific Prime. Keep in mind public health care here is cheap and sufficient for most needs.

https://www.pacificprime.com/
    Keeping in mind that they only offer what they get commissioned on. I'm sure they're large enough to get a comission from everyone, but NOTHING beats your own research BEFORE you even talk to an agent.

Far too many agents push an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Keeping in mind that they only offer what they get commissioned on. I'm sure they're large enough to get a comission from everyone, but NOTHING beats your own research BEFORE you even talk to an agent.

Far too many agents push an agenda.
    Did weeks of research. The data was sparse and incomplete and it was tough to compare the plans. Then I talked to a broker and found many options. Now I'm with AXA Smartcare Optimum, which has excellent coverage for a low price. Try to find any info for that plan online, such as monthly fees, etc. It's not easy to come by.

mgi

I'm a doctor and the only reason I insure is for expensive cancer treatments which HA usually don't cover. HA is better and safer for everything else. I found Cygna to be the best - most doctors use them or AIA as far as I can see

shri and rani like this.

We are covered by Cigna and the coverage is excellent. They are pretty good at paying on time and allied to Quality Healthcare which means you don't need to submit claims forms if you are treated through QH in Hong Kong.

You can use other Doctors but the you pay up front and claim back, which is more of a hassle.

I'm sure the coverage is pretty expensive, and don't know if I would use them if I had to pay myself.

....Now I'm with AXA Smartcare Optimum, which has excellent coverage for a low price.....
    Do tell...We are with quite an expensive package and would love to chop it down a notch or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Do tell...We are with quite an expensive package and would love to chop it down a notch or 2.
    $40K/year for the whole family (2 adults, 2 children), semi-private ward fully covered, no deductible, with outpatient plan, no dental.

Does that sound good?

$40K/year for the whole family (2 adults, 2 children), semi-private ward fully covered, no deductible, with outpatient plan, no dental.

Does that sound good?
    No such thing as fully covered. You do have annual and life time limits. Just saying....

Curious why no deductible. If you factor in savings from having a high deductible - 20-40K, you have saved more than the deductible in a couple or three years.
    TheBrit likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast