Like Tree3Likes

Which credit card is easiest to get in Hong Kong for a newly joined expat?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Which credit card is easiest to get in Hong Kong for a newly joined expat?

I have an internship contract with a company for 1 year and I started it on 24th July. My salary is also 150000 annually and but have got only two salaries for the month of July(from 24-31st) and for the August. Is it possible to get a credit card now?

I have a bank account in HSBC but after reading about their rejections, I'm kinda afraid. What are the banks would you will suggest for a newly joined trainee?

BEA was pretty easy

I managed to get the AE Cathay Pacific card on no income. Just produce passport, visa, ID and proof of address. I noticed a booth just popped up yesterday at the Quarry Bay MTR station if you're near there. If you do it online you get an extra 1000 Asia miles though

Thank you so much!!

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quantzie:
    I managed to get the AE Cathay Pacific card on no income. Just produce passport, visa, ID and proof of address. I noticed a booth just popped up yesterday at the Quarry Bay MTR station if you're near there. If you do it online you get an extra 1000 Asia miles though

Amex gave me one with no problems a few months after I arrived, though the limit was quite low (a third of my monthly salary from memory).

HSBC still won't give me one, despite the fact I've been here nearly four years and have always banked with them. They rejected me a few months ago as they said they I had less than twelve months to run on my contract....
    Yet, I know people who've got a credit card not long after arriving.

My advice is to avoid HSBC. I'd change my current account if only I could be bothered :P!!!!

I would say Aeon credit card would be the easiest. I was approached and offered an Aeon card at their supermarket. Thinking it was for a membership card, I went for it. Why not.

I filled up their form but didn't bother to read further. And that was it! The lady said I'll get it in the mail within a week or two.

So a week later to my surprise, they sent me the credit card with a 10k limit. I didn't activate it.

Vix85 likes this.

Has anyone tried applying for the Citi Prestige card? Is the approval purely on the min income requirement?
    Moving over to HK soon and was thinking of getting a cc set up first before incurring all the expenses.

Min income is usually not too strict.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Min income is usually not too strict.
    I am not worrying about the min income thankfully. Worrying more on whether Citi may eventually not approve since I don't have any credit rating in HK. Anyone has experiences applying for a Citi card as a "fresh expat"?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast