Current account and credit card

Closed Thread

Current account and credit card

Hello

can anyone advise me on the best current account and credit card? ill be moving in Jan and want to hit the ground running. Ideally I would like to transfer around 10,000HKD to the UK per month also.

Any help would be appreciated! Finding all this debit/EPS/Credit card stuff confusing so if anyone could explain how it works that would be a good help also!

Right now in the UK I just use my debit card for contactless everywhere and from what I read this isn’t going to happen in HK.

I needed 3 months proof of salary before i got my credit card.

Contact less cards, tied to your current account is possible with a Octopus card and a Visa pay wave card which are auto pay (settled at the billing cycle from your current account).

Most banks offer this.

We moved in August and got an HSBC account. We were able to apply for a credit card after the first salary payment if I recall correctly.

You need a ID card before applying for a bank account so you wont be able to 'hit the ground running' We lived off a UK credit card for our first month. Applying for accounts here is long and complicated with lots of paper work. Unfortunately you cant open simply online like the UK but go into a branch and they will help yo out.

As for transferring 10000 to UK - I am wondering about this too. Non bank based transfers seem to be better. For 10000HKD it seems to be around 950 pounds which is 10pounds less than the standard exchange rate.