Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree17Likes

How long will it take me to open a HSBC bank account in Hong Kong

This one is worth a read.. should give you a clue why things are tightening up in HK... or are they?

She says she went ahead to look, and was impressed enough to later fly to Hong Kong and help transfer some of their money. From Hong Kong, the couple together went to Turkey, on what Sally says was a romantic holiday, during which Elhassani lavished her with gifts.

At the time, the indirect trip to Asia before diverting to the Syrian border in Turkey, and the proxy transfer of funds to Hong Kong, were textbook methods of evading law enforcement for those seeking to join ISIS. But Sally insists she thought nothing was amiss before she reached the Turkish border town of Sanliurfa.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/19/m...ntl/index.html
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

I failed to open a private HSBC account in HK despite having a HKID and a local address AND being a loyal client in the UK for more than a decade. I still don't know why, because those bastards refused to say. Computer says no, etc. That was less than 2 years ago. From what I hear things used to be much easier shortly before that.

chuckster007 likes this.

To answer your question literally, it took my wife 1hr 57 minutes to open a bank account with HSBC last month.

That was with me (already an HSBC HK account holder) there, all the required documents (originals and photocopies) for ID and address proof, proof of employment, including a signed letter written by me stating that we were married (with original and copy marriage certificates) and that we lived together at the same address, as per the requirements on HSBC website for address proof (all bills in my name so no address proof).

Despite this, the bank insisted on re-copying everything, as well as taking photos of all the documents with their iPad things, and re-writing and making me sign again an almost identical letter to that which I had already written (using the excuse that they had not witnessed me signing it, so it could be fake, despite the fact that they already had my signature on file, it was on my atm card which I showed them, and on my passport which I had also brought to the appointment!!!)

shri and biffski like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gdjman68wasdigi
    I opened a Personal Integrated Account in Hong Kong last year, it was relatively easy.

I don't have a HK ID card or a HK address, I used bank statements from England and my passport.
    What was the purpose told to the bank for opening the account?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3