Like Tree17Likes

How long will it take me to open a HSBC bank account in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How long will it take me to open a HSBC bank account in Hong Kong

I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and need to have an account to pay some money in.

If for example I arrive on a Monday, and have the time, could I open a HSBC bank account and be using it by the end of the day?

I want to transfer some money to Netherlands within a week if possible as I will only be visiting Hong Kong for 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by alienation:
    I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and need to have an account to pay some money in.

If for example I arrive on a Monday, and have the time, could I open a HSBC bank account and be using it by the end of the day?

I want to transfer some money to Netherlands within a week if possible as I will only be visiting Hong Kong for 7 days.
    Do you have a HK ID card?

Why can't you send the money to the Netherlands from where you are now?

So you are only visiting Hong Kong and don’t have a Hong Kong address or HKID?

In that case chances of opening a bankaccount under the current derisking policies of Hong Kong banks are zero.

Why do you need to do it like this? No other bankaccount in another country?

biffski likes this.

Very difficult.

biffski likes this.

I have no Hong Kong address or Hong Kong identity card. I have a payment due for me relating to some land sale. Not a massive amount, but a few thousand dollars.

According to HSBC site If you are a non-HK resident aged 18 or above and physically present in Hong Kong, A valid travel document with name, date of birth, nationality and travel document number and current residential address proof is required to open an account.

I have no Hong Kong address or Hong Kong identity card. I have a payment due for me relating to some land sale. Not a massive amount, but a few thousand dollars.

According to HSBC site If you are a non-HK resident aged 18 or above and physically present in Hong Kong, A valid travel document with name, date of birth, nationality and travel document number and current residential address proof is required to open an account.
    unless you are involved in money laundering, these organised crime syndicates, aka hk banks, will need your address proof...
    biffski likes this.

Surely they can just wire transfer the money to wherever you live now.

Haha good luck with that. I can smell the stink from here...
    rs4 and biffski like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    unless you are involved in money laundering, these organised crime syndicates, aka hk banks, will need your address proof...
    I have proof of address, not Hong Kong address. I don't think I will have any problems opening an account, just curious to know if I can access it within day of opening it.

I have proof of address, not Hong Kong address. I don't think I will have any problems opening an account, just curious to know if I can access it within day of opening it.
    Bank will not generally open an individual account for a non-resident, especially when the purpose is to immediately remit a sum of cash back out of Hong Kong. Those days are long gone. Which country are you a national of, and why does the money need to be deposited into a HK account?
    biffski and shri like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast