Like Tree25Likes

Asia miles shakeup

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Asia miles shakeup

Cathay last week revamped their Asia Miles program so that you can now earn more miles when flying, use less miles when redeeming (eg Mumbai used to be 45k miles return now cut to 20k, or Singapore from 30k to 20k, etc), and there are 20% more seats available.

I've always thought AM was was pretty shit and last year I failed to redeem anything I was waitlisted on, I'm flying more low cost airlines these days, so I gave up and switched all my credit cards over to cash back instead of miles (eg I cut up my Standard Chartered Asia miles card and got a Simply cash card instead).

Now with these changes, I am wondering if I should switch my credit cards back and jump on the AM bandwagon again, or just forget it and stick with the cashback and don't look back. What do you guys think of these new AM changes and will they affect your flying and spending patterns?

Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles shake-up means 80 per cent of flights will earn more in loyalty programme | South China Morning Post

Ive got about 100,000 airmiles I need to use.

These changes can only be good right?

Kowloon Goon likes this.

It's worse for me. We're thinking about changing from Marco Polo to BA points system to maintain airline status.

HK_Katherine and JaredHK like this.

There's a decent review of the changes and their implications here:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...tm_source=grid

The changes are both positive and negative depending on your travel patterns. I think economy passengers gain on the whole. Those redeeming miles for premium cabins lose out with some popular routes seeing a large increase in the amount of miles required.

It's a loss for me. I only redeem miles to fly in premium cabins.

BCD and Mrs. Jones like this.

What a lock of bullocks!! bastards lol

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    It's a loss for me. I only redeem miles to fly in premium cabins.
    Yes exactly I was just about to book a first class long haul redemption, probably impossible now...

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Yes exactly I was just about to book a first class long haul redemption, probably impossible now...
    Do it before 22 June and you are still ok.
    MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Ive got about 100,000 airmiles I need to use.

These changes can only be good right?
    These changes appear to be good for the majority of people flying shorter distances in economy classes and with promotional fares, etc. They seem to be targeting the passengers who have been drifting away to the low cost airlines in recent years.

So yes overall good for most of us. Might be a problem for the HK_Katherine's and M@M!'s of this world but don't feel too sorry for them, I'm sure they can survive somehow.
    civil_servant, Mat and MerMer like this.

Could be worse... Qatar airways devalued their entire airmiles system overnight with absolutely no warning!

MerMer likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast