Like Tree28Likes

What is the obsession with banking signatures?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is the obsession with banking signatures?

I have consistently used my chop and signature in dealings with the bank, and now for the second time I am getting bizarre rejections because my signature doesn't look as it has in the past (?)

Living abroad and posting signatures via DHL each time they say it is not the correct one is bizarre, exceptionally time-consuming, bureaucratic, and is nothing that would exist in the west.

So why do Hong Kong banks so viciously and tenaciously stick to a system that belongs to the 1950s?

I've walked into an HSBC branch, identified myself appropriately (ID card checked), signed in front of the branch officer and had my signature rejected by their back office.

I am not living in Hong Kong, so I do not have the opportunity to physically see an office.

I am doing accounting and send documents via DHL, which takes a week, it is absurd the zealous attention they are giving to my signature, despite me using it before.

No explanation than a flat out that is not accepted..
    I have once been a similiar situation and had to re-send 3 times documents with flat-out rejections, and finally managed because I reached the banking manager and talked to her instead.

Completely bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I've walked into an HSBC branch, identified myself appropriately (ID card checked), signed in front of the branch officer and had my signature rejected by their back office.
    There is only one response to that. "FFS".

Me too- Standard Chartered. I asked to see the signature on file so I would know how to make it look and they showed it to me. It was one of those boxes way too small for a three-name English signature so, of course, the signature looked funny as I was squeezing it in. I think I got them to let me re-do it...

Happened to me as well - a cheque was rejected due to non-matching signature. Ended up going to the bank and signing a new cheque in front of them. Second time lucky. Boring

If you guys ordered a personal seal made like any sensible Chinese person, this wouldn't have been an issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_(East_Asia)

Yep same here both at HSBC and SC.

if you are the person in the bank, and you have seen guys forging signature to get money/account opening/closing etc.etc. across, then you would see that it is not a trivia thing.. the checks might not be fool-proof, but from the perspective of the employee if they did not reject this and it really become a forgery case, their job security will be affected. so much easier to just reject.

RMDNC and angeluscomplex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sinespe:
    If you guys ordered a personal seal made like any sensible Chinese person, this wouldn't have been an issue
    Lol, that’s suggesting a solution for something that shouldn’t even be a problem. Matching signatures is sooo 1980’s

I had the same, closing one of my business accounts, zero balance left, send papers in, got them back a few weeks later: signature rejected.

So I ended up going to one of the HSBC business centres, sat down with an account rep who then allowed me to look on his monitor (that had my signature on display from when I opened the account many eons ago) so I could copy it exactly. I was looking for the hidden camera but the rep was dead serious, had ro copy exactly or it would fail again. Waste of time and money.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast