Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tf19

HSBC fraud prevention or not so prevention

Closed Thread

HSBC fraud prevention or not so prevention

About a week ago overnight get two text message from HSBC saying there had been a USD1 and HKD900 attempt on my card from facebook.

Next day I call up and am told yes there had been attempts but neither transaction had gone through so nothing to worry about.

Last night go online to HSBC. As a matter of course decided to check my credit card spend and lo and behold there is a HKD900 transaction posted from facebook.

I immediately call HSBC and they tell me a transaction has gone through. I mention that i had called up a few days ago to query it and the agent is completely clueless. End up having to make a dispute claim and chargeback request with Facebook, which can take up to 60 days. On top of that my card is now stopped.

Anyway rant over.

@pin - did you ever enter your credit card details on facebook?

The only time this is required in my limited experience is if you are using Facebook Ads to boost posts / advertise. Facebook's security is pretty decent.

Or was your card used by someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @pin - did you ever enter your credit card details on facebook?

The only time this is required in my limited experience is if you are using Facebook Ads to boost posts / advertise. Facebook's security is pretty decent.

Or was your card used by someone else?
    Nope.

Then it is best that the card is cancelled - someone has stolen your card info and used it.

No clue how you'd contact Facebook directly about this, if you do not have your card on record with them, my contact links are limited to their product usage (Ads etc) and could not find any form on their site which allows you to contact them if your card has been fraudulently used by a third party.

Original Post Deleted
    Second that. When my card was used fraudulently the huge debit was reversed in a couple of days providing I made a police report. That took four hours, but was worth it.

Original Post Deleted
    I was also pleasantly surprised with my experience with a fraudulent charge with HSBC - my incident happened last month whilst I was on holiday in Europe. Didn't have to jump through the same hoops that OP.

On the other hand Citi HK requested that I post them a hard copy statement to contest the claim.

Agree with other posters on Amex - I have had nothing but wonderful customer experience with them.
    TheBrit likes this.