Like Tree172Likes

HSBC Premier / Expat / InvestDirect - UK Shares

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Last I looked HSBC online stock trading on UK stocks is limited to residents of certain territories, and HK is not one of them.
    Same here, but seems like several of their departments fail to update their websites, so worth checking.

Will probably get to it next week - forgot this is a short week for me.

Has any of you tried to open an account in Singapore? It seems from SG you do have access to all the major financial hubs.

@shri

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-...ealing-details

This sharedealing service is based in the UK and is provided by HSBC InvestDirect International, part of HSBC Bank plc - so your portfolio will be subject to UK taxation.

The HSBC InvestDirect International sharedealing service is available if you reside in the following countries.

So seems its offered by an HSBC brokerage arm.

Aakash123 and shri like this.

https://www.youinvest.co.uk/open-an-account

anyone using AJ bell to buy UK shares?

looking at the sign on dealing account there are options for non-residents so I assume they accept expats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Jeremy:
    https://www.youinvest.co.uk/open-an-account

anyone using AJ bell to buy UK shares?

looking at the sign on dealing account there are options for non-residents so I assume they accept expats.
    Their Dealing Account is not open to non-UK residents. Neither, of course, is there shares ISA.
    But you can open a SIPP as a non-resident and then transfer any pension schemes to it.
    Wong Jeremy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Their Dealing Account is not open to non-UK residents. Neither, of course, is there shares ISA.
    But you can open a SIPP as a non-resident and then transfer any pension schemes to it.
    I'm actually considering this (i.e. setting up a SIPP with them and transferring my UK Standard Life pension).

@Wong Jeremy I was able to open a share trading account with interactive investor stating I was non UK resident. I however have to make transfers to them using a UK bank account.
    Wong Jeremy likes this.

So, after a fair bit of back and forth with HSBC and trialing some of their services, here's what is possible.

For a vanilla premier account, UK shares can be bought through their hotline, not available as an online service and may be expensive - certainly not something you want to do regularly or trade frequently. Good for quarterly buy/hold in my opinion.

Name:  Screenshot 2018-11-29 at 8.48.06 AM.png
Views: 1458
Size:  79.9 KB

With a Premier account, you cannot transfer shares UK shares in.

A little bit more is available through HSBC Broking Services, for those interested, including share transfers. A new account needs to be opened to HSBC Broking and a face to face interview is required. They say that the balance here is calculated into your TRB. However, it should be noted - this is not the Bank, this is their Brokerage.

http://www.broking.hsbc.com.hk/1/PA_...df/fnc_new.pdf

pin likes this.

@shri

Thanks for that. However seems DBS remains cheaper in that case?

@pin - may be, but there seems to be more nickel/diming with DBS accounts, but "cheapest" or "cheap" was not a decision factor, if that was the case, IB would have been the default option.

Also, HSBC has some more services which may be useful down the road to us.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @pin - may be, but there seems to be more nickel/diming with DBS accounts, but "cheapest" or "cheap" was not a decision factor, if that was the case, IB would have been the default option.

Also, HSBC has some more services which may be useful down the road to us.
    Just coming back to this. HSBC is not cheap at all. Minimum trading fee of GBP70 and 1% brokerage fee. On top of that safe custody fee. HSBC Brokering isn't much cheaper it seems (their brokerage fee is closer to 0.8%). I guess the safe custody fee is a fixed fee rather than a percentage (say with Saxo).

Just hope that the fees you are paying HSBC (if you decide to take this road) are worth it in the long run.

Re DBS its not for cheapness, its the fact that its a fully fledged bank (unlike Internaxx, IB, Saxo and even HSBC Brokering).
    Aakash123 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast